Monday, July 31, 2006

There is That

It was a clear run to the lift, the foyer was relatively empty. 8.50am. One girl from my floor was in front of me and there was one other girl in front of her. Perfect, for me to get in and push the door closed button immediately, as they pick their floors. Doors close. I pick my floor. It's my new lift procedure. Doors closed before any other idiot can board.

This morning, just as the doors were closing, with my finger hovering on the closed door button, some guy appeared out of no where, with a cup of coffee in his hand. Not only did he try to slip into the lift, at the last minute, but the idiot lead with the coffee in his hand. What did he expect was going to happen?

Splash went the coffee, half splashed inside the lift, half splashed outside, on the marble floor. The squashed paper cup lying right in the middle of the lift doors.

He looked pissed off. Accusatory. Why did this have to happen!

Come on idiot, pick it up, hurry up, I thought.

He looked down at the cup, momentarily, looking like he didn't know what to do. He was waiting for the 7 second replay. He bent at the knees. He lifted the cup away. He carried it like it was a diseased thing.

My fingers were on the doors closed button.

The girl from my floor had her fingers on the doors open button. Our eyes met. She lifted her fingers away from the open button.

We were away.

"I hope he didn't have a meeting, first thing," said the other girl; rat-faced, blonde pony-tail, voice like a receptionist school drop-out, all nasally. She kind of whined, one suspects naturally. "Oh poor man, that sort of thing could just ruin your whole day. How awful!" She looked from the girl from my floor to me. "To happen so early in the morning. It's just awful." Earnest face, waiting for me to agree. I laughed a smile in faux agreement. "What a terrible way to start the day. Just terrible." Her floor opened. She smiled at me. She smiled at the girl from my floor. She stepped out. The doors closed. She was gone.

"Or he could be more careful next time," I said.

"Yep," said the girl from my floor. "There is that."


6 comments:

RIC said...

Moral: some people never learn... Some even seem to enjoy dwelling around in Olympic ignorance. That's what I cannot stand at all! That pisses me off so much I reach the edge of a fury attack! That's no news though - I'm Taurus...
Hope you're okay!

FletcherBeaver said...

50% of the population, at any given moment, are only wasting the world's resources.

2xLife said...

Ah, I hate awkward elevator situations. At the hospital I work in I always hold certain buttons so it bypasses the 7 other floors on the way up (a nice feature built in so they can get emergency patients to where they need to go). Is that bad?

RIC said...

Wow, Christian! Isn't that just a little bit too radical?...

FletcherBeaver said...

If I had certain buttons that would bypass floors, it would be fantastic!

FletcherBeaver said...

You reach the edge of fury at their ignorance... I'm simply stating a fact?