Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Party

It’s the final party at Bolago before they hand over to the new owners and head up north. It's the end of an era. Everybody is there. All the old gang, some I haven't seen for years. It was great to see them all. Luke has bought a huge amount of pot for the occasion and essentially I roll joints until I am so stoned I remain incommunicado for most of the night. It is one of the reasons why I have given up pot, of course. It doesn’t make me funny and amusing any more, it just makes me go off into my own little world.

Mark said to me on a couple of occasions, “You look sad.”

“No, I’m just too stoned.”

I should have been feeling sad. I will feel sad when it actually happen. Perry said to me during the night, "It suddenly dawned on me, I don't have any where to go in the country any longer."

We ate and chatted all afternoon and then we danced all night.

Luke cooked amazing food. I didn’t stop eating all day. Sam told me I had to stop eating several times.

Matt, our DJ buddy plays the best music. His thing is disco and he can play the most amazing tracks, not just the usual commercial songs.

And a good time was had by all.


We had trips, magic mushrooms, dope cookies and pot. I’ve never had magic mushrooms before and I’m not really sure that I felt their effect.

Shane didn’t make an appearance, too much study to do, so he said. And Sebastian didn’t come either, he was coming up with Shane in a camper van of all things. A Winnebago, of all things. But, we kind of didn’t think they would, after their bad behaviour at mine and Anthony’s birthday party a month ago. I think they are still upset about being told off by a few people. Drug behaviour, those effected do always think they are being fabulous and amusing and not boring and upsetting to people. It is one of the world’s truths.


Oh yes, chatty woman. We’ve got to that age now where those of us who are going to have kids have had them. So, present at all our parties now is normally a gaggle of young children. And in the strange world of parenting, people become friends because their children are friends. So, present at the party was a couple who were there because their child is friends with my step-grandson. The problem was that the wife of the couple talked incessantly. Worse still, she was a drinker, so her conversation got more and more effected by alcohol, which seemed to have a direct effect on her talking. So she talked and talked and talked, getting more and more and more talkative but less capable as the night wore on. I was forever looking up to have her talking at me with some more of her infernal rubbish. The woman just never stopped. The fact that she was a bit of a bogun didn’t help, the fact that she thought her six year old was gay seemed to be her true connecting characteristic to all of us. And didn’t she go on and on and on. I personally didn’t tune into her in the end, but apparently others did.

I entertained myself by chatting to her hot husband, who seemed really nice. But, he got too stoned and headed to bed, not all that long after midnight. Then she was just this strange woman who kept adding her bit to whatever conversation she butted in on.

Some where late in the night, suddenly there were words being had. The lesbians present had taken serious offence at something chatty woman had said and were suggesting she went to bed. Sally went to wake her husband to come and take her away. The well sedated crowd kind of rumbled to attention at that point and they all seemed to agree that it wasn’t worth all the trouble of waking the husband.

Luke arrived back from bed, just as it happened, to roll more joints and he was caught up in the tail end of the trouble, looking oblivious to what was going on around him.

Sally asked if it was her, the husband arrived, bleary-eyed, it was all a bit tense there for a minute, he went back to bed, but chatty woman didn’t follow, even with most of the crowd seemingly against her, even with him suggesting that she did. Sally, who took up the fight and woke the husband, then decided that maybe she was over-tiered and took herself off to bed.

Chatty woman didn’t though, she stayed around, persisted with her inane conversation.

It was all over kind of by then and we all drifted off to sleep some time later, as it was then nearing 5am, by this stage.


No comments: