Thursday, November 29, 2012

Anthony Called Today

Anthony called today just to check up on me and Buddy, to make sure we were cool and staying out of the heat.


"Oh yes, nice and cool here."

"Goodo."

"I'm not working today."

"Good for you! You don't want to go in for that nonsense."

"No luv, I don't."

"It is ridiculous this outdate work thingy, we're just not made for that sort of carry on."

"I reckon I have just about done enough in my life anyway."

"Me too. Absolutely!" Anthony hasn't worked for years. "I just don't see the point to it."

"No, me either. Always chasing after the idiots who are too stupid to get anything right. Fixing their mistakes. Who needs it?"

"Oh yes, I hate that. Morons, nearly everyone of them."

"Apparently, they have three people doing my job now back at the black law firm."

"I just don't know how this country survives with the number of idiots running the ship?"

"I hope they go down..."

"Well, apparently the permafrost is melting and it will be the end of all of us..."

"Not before time."

"Hear, hear!"


He'd just seen a petshop van with my dog emblazoned across the side, as he'd made his daily trip to the shops. (Well, I guess, you have to fill your day in somehow) He'd come around the corner and there was baby bulldog staring back at him.


"So, I thought I'd better call."

"It was a sign," I offered sarcastically. Thinking that is exactly what David would have said.

Anthony knew exactly what I meant. "Oh yes, some such nonsense, I am sure," said Anthony. He laughed his easy laugh. "And if you can make a living out of it, reassuring the gullible that their lives mean something, all the better."

"Money for jam..."

"Happy schizophrenia, luv. Spiritual guru by day, filthy, drug taking leather bottom by night, letting god knows who shove god knows what up her arsehole, good luck to her. I just wish I had the energy." He laughed again.


Anthony always cheers me up. I don't know, it is something about ex-boyfriends, they don't have to bother with the small explanatory sentences, we just know what each other means, quite simply. Chat chat, laugh laugh, the world is fucked, aren't we lucky we are in the position we are. Let's watch from our superior position as they all slide into the abyss.


I baked some sweet pastries and brewed some coffee. And I wonder why I am getting fat. Ha ha! They were good too. Yum, I thought, as I reclined back on the couch and nibbled on the edge of a pastry and sipped my coffee. 

 

No comments: