Thursday, May 12, 2016

Well, That All Went Wrong

We had to pay the deposit for the new puppy by last Tuesday. If I am told to pay something by a certain day, I will pay it on that day, not before, that is just me. If we didn't pay, that was okay too, as it is a big decision. The breeder would simply put the puppy back up for sale, not a problem, she would understand, it is a big decision, after all. She seemed quite reasonable.
Sam called the breeder Tuesday with a number of questions he had to ask her. Then, once she had given him the answers he wanted, he was going to tell her that he would pay the deposit immediately after he'd finished speaking to her.
Easy peasy? Right? Right.
Um? No.
That is not how it went. It went horribly pear-shaped, ending with the breeder saying that she was left feeling hurt. 
I asked Sam what he said that upset her, he swears he said nothing, other than asking her the questions he wanted to ask. 
Could he see her dog association membership card?
Did she offer 6 weeks insurance for the puppies, like other breeders do?
Why were her puppies $700 more than an equivalent breeder?
He says she just turned on him telling him not to waste her time as he was clearly not interested in buying a puppy, as he hadn't even paid the deposit.
So yes, there seems to have been some kind of misunderstanding.
Sam can be pretty blunt, I know that, maybe the breeder didn't know that. And when it started spiralling out of control, Sam says he just couldn't be bothered talking to her any longer.
"Oh, if she is going to be like that..."
"Like what?"
"Rude and unreasonable, I don't want her puppy then," said Sam. "It is probably better we found out now, that she is clearly dodgy."
She didn't seem dodgy to me. I don't think she was dodgy.
I think Sam must have caught her on a bad day, as she seemed nice enough to me when we met in person.
And we did want the puppy.
Sam likes to ask questions. Sam likes to question everything before he makes a decision. I think it is a good quality, (most of the time) but I am used to it. He has very little patience for people who don't have answers to his questions.

Buddy and Milo are in for a surprise?
As we are? Shaken out of our comfort by a midget from hell. Chucky with four legs?
So what were we thinking? When I lay in bed at night and it is dark and Sam can't see my face, I wonder this too. What are we thinking? The blank canvass. The training? The toilet training? The wrecked garden? The chewed every thing. The little monster for 12 months?
Dear Universe what are we thinking?
I think the same thing in the morning, as Buddy and Milo lay curled up next to me in bed, relaxed and serene.
All of that being as it may, there is nothing more gorgeous than a new puppy.

So, puppy number 2 has been lined up. We get to see it on Saturday.

1 comment:

Adaptive Radiation said...

I just had the founder of Oscar's law speak to students in my Faculty. I think Sam did the right things asking those questions. I still feel guilty that Nathan bought our dog from the pet shop.