Friday, August 31, 2018

Any Distraction Will Do

I was going to write all day. It was wet and cold, perfect day for it. However, somehow, I got to watching What's My Line on Youtube all afternoon. So easily distracted. And the worst part is that I have seen them all before. 

Any distraction will do.

Interestingly, they had on a lovely smiley woman whose occupation was Gorilla Hunter. And that seemed to be perfectly acceptable occupation. 1956, how times have changed. John Daly asked her when she was going on her next hunt and if she wanted to take the panel with her. It gave me chills, to tell you the truth.


I do love the 1950s though, oh, except for the rampant racism, the crushing misogyny and the life destroying homophobia, the unquestioned religion, and the reputation destroying prudishness. And then there were the terrible diets, the archaic medicines, the poor public health and inferior longevity, and the crushing poverty for the poor. Oh yes, and the beginnings of the destruction of the planet with it rampant, uncheck industrialisation.

I do love the 1950s… on the surface. The glitz and the glamour. The cars. The style. The full skirts.


No comments: