Wednesday, October 03, 2018

The Fruit Bowl

We get a fruit bowl at work, every Monday and Wednesday. As I am one of the first into the office, I usually get the pick of the fruit. Usually, I take a couple of bananas and a couple of mandarins, which I eat during the morning, normally for morning tea, with my fifth coffee.

Just lately, I've been taking the bananas home and making banana cakes for Sam on my days off. I usually take a couple, but the last couple of weeks, I've found myself taking three bananas, as I normally need that many to make a banana cake. I've just been taking them without giving it much thought. 

Today, it crossed my mind that it was not really in the spirit of the fruit bowl to be taking the fruit home to make cake, as I took my last 3 bananas. I would just eat them anyway, I told myself. What difference does it... but, my Still Small Voice has been clearing its throat and saying it thinks it is wrong, annoyingly. A conscience is a terrible thing, no, really, it is. Oh damn. What was I thinking?

Rats.

Yes, I could just buy the bananas. How practical of you.

2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

My colleague has porridge at work so he can use the free milk. Perks of the job. And I'm sure the financially strapped grad students take the left over milk home at the end of the week.

FletcherBeaver said...

Wealthy law firm provides breakfast cereal and milk too. Don't think our grads take any of it home though.