Saturday, July 27, 2019

Government House

We went to the open day at Government House. Sam read about it and we both said that was the sort of thing you think you should do, but never do.

Well, anyway, the day comes and Sam is right on it. "Let's go look at Government House?"

So, we walked into town and ate lunch, then we walked out St Kilda Road to the Botanical Gardens.

There was a guy just behind us at the gate with a bulldog and to my surprise they let him in. I didn't see them in the house, though.


We were in the ballroom, which was the biggest in the commonwealth, at some stage, or still is, I should know this, and there was a chair up on a kind of stage roped off. Sam joked about sitting in it while I take a photo.

"Just run up there and get in it, we could get the photo before security tells you to get out," I say.

We both laugh.

Then Sam looks passed me and says,

“Ask her if you can sit in the chair.”

“Ask her if you can sit in the chair?” I repeat, as I turn around to see who Sam is talking about, and I am suddenly saying it to the Governor of Victoria herself.

“And the answer is no,” Linda Dessau answers. We all laughed. "But we can take a photo together in front of it." 

I spluttered, "Sure," I was a bit embarrassed, as you can understand. 


No comments: