Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Bike Ride

I went for a bike ride, mid morning. The sun was shining, the air was warm, warm enough for just a t-shirt and shorts, first time for this year.

I started work early, so I could take a break, and one of the reasons I love working from home.

It was a lovely day for it, bright sun, blue sky.

I was riding down Napier Street next to a couple of oldies, who weren’t riding in the bike lane, so I was rapidly overtaking them on the inside, in the bike lane.

There comes that part of Napier Street that is blocked off to cars, as you approach Johnston Street. There are bollards and a narrow path through which only one bike can ride at a time.

As we approached, me with the oldies close behind, a group of riders came from the other direction, getting to the narrow part first, so I stopped and let them through.

A woman at the back of group came through and as she did she said, “It is nice that you are a gentleman.”

Seriously? I thought. It had nothing to do with being a gentlemen, you were just first.

I just smiled. Witheringly? I wasn’t trying to. Maybe?

Please don’t call me a gentlemen, I am much more evolved than that. In fact, I almost find it insulting. Gentleman, indeed, what nonsense. How parochial, I thought. What happened to all those years of fighting for equality? What happened to being equal?

Ha ha, funny the things you think. I wasn't expecting to think that, I just did, before I could think about it, if you know what I mean?

I watched them go as I wheeled slowly down the road to the traffic lights. The sun shone, as I wondered about what I thought?

My still peddles. The click, click, click sound of the hubs. Floating through the air. The fresh breeze in my face. A state of grace.

The traffic lights turned green and I picked up my pace.

No comments: