Saturday, November 21, 2020

Music

When I first started uploading music to iTunes, I used to make great long greatest hits collections of 50 songs. I did it with Davide Bowie, I did its with Elton John, I did it with Queen, I did it with Tina Turner, I did it with Santana, I did it with Cindi Lauper, I did it with Paul Kelly, I did it with Marvin Gaye, I did it with Bob Dylan, I did it with Michael Jackson, to name some of them.

I did because, often, I had a greatest hits album and I just added the tracks I liked to it. I did it because Mark and I had a huge CD collection and when we split up he cleaned them out on his way out the door. yeah, good on ya. And the ones he didn't take, he took when he came to visit.

When I got iTunes, I discovered cash Converters, and opshops that sell CDs for nothing, and I bought back a huge number of CDs that Mark took, and then some, and then many more. They only had to work once, you know, be uploaded, so they didn't have to be in pristine condition, so they were easy to find.

I've been on a CD buying spree ever since.

And as soon as I did all of those collections, almost to the moment they were finished, I realised it was a mistake. I'd put them on and I'd listen to the first 10 tracks, if I was lucky, never listening to the rest of the tracks.

So, I split the tracks up into smaller albums in 5, or 10, year blocks. Some of them, iTunes wouldn't let me edit and change around, I still don't know why, so I had to go up to the attic and look through all the plastic tubs for the appropriate CDs.

I've just finished the last of them, the thinning. The other day I was hanging around the Salvos and I got another Santana greatest hits CD, which gave me lots of tracks I didn't have. So I have just split up the 50 track Santana Greatest Hits I had up. I'm looking forward to getting to know all the tracks I haven't listened to for so long.

Of course, with lockdown, and no longer having the block up at Macedon, I don't spend a lot of time in the car driving any more. And San I have Bothe worked from home for most of the year, so I don't spend any time alone. So, I guess it'll just be headphones and shutting out the world to listen to them.

But, I actually like the uploading process, so I kind of enjoy it.


No comments: