Friday, June 24, 2022

Cleaning Up

With Sam’s nephew Charlie's immanent arrival, we have been cleaning up the house. You know how spare rooms become places to store stuff – get filled with crap – well, our spare rooms are no exception, Charlie's room being the main storage unit.

So, I got up in the attic so we could clean out some of the shit up there, which should have been cleaned out years ago, so we could store some of the new stuff which we will clean out in the next five years, or so.

All my old treasures. I culled and cleaned and cut many boxes down to a few. Jesus, I even threw out all of my old VHS tapes. (I actually do still have a VHS player, which I never use, attached to the bedroom TV) That was a wrench! Ha ha. Not really. Seinfeld, Roseanne, AbFab and all those TV shows that are now streamed, or I have on my own private movie channel. Even a few of my old Bette Davis tapes, which I now have on other medium.

I found amongst the boxes, my old boyfriends 5 photo albums, which have been there for how long? Well, they are big and heavy and taking up lots of space in various boxes. I am sure if I told Mark they were here he'd say he wanted them and then they would just sit there for another twenty years because how do you get big, heavy photo albums to NSW easily?

So, I decided I was just going to put them all in the bin and say nothing. Yes, that is what I am going to do, throw them away. Mark wouldn’t even remember where the hell they are?

Well, in good conscience I decided that I couldn't do that. They are full of my step daughter and my (dead) stepson as children. And full of friends and people I know. And besides I like old photos. I have a natural affinity towards them. (I should have been a photographer restorer as a profession. I could easily have been a digital image expert)

So, what to do?

And to Sam's disbelief – not really a sentimental bone in that one's body – I decided that I would scan them. That's more than Mark would do for me, I know that, but that is beside the point.

So, off I went.


No comments: