Sunday, June 13, 2010

Candles Burned, the Open Fire Glowed Red

The phone rang, late yesterday morning, it was Mark. When are you coming up, he asked.

I'd got up late, I think I was waiting for the coffee to brew. Go some where? Do something? I knew that I should understand these words.

Lolli and Adrianna are coming up, a girl's night. You said you'd come?

Did I?

Yes, I checked with you at the time?

Did you?

Don't tell me you're not coming now, they both wanted to see you?

No, I'm not saying... er... um - think, think - no, I'm not saying that.

So you are coming?

Actually, when I thought about it, I had no other plans, anyway. Good thing I filled the car up with petrol. And, I went to the country.


We drank red wine, we smoked pot, we laughed. People who you know very well, and not seeing each other for a while, it just kind of flows, from where you left off. Lol's kids have grown. Well behaved kids and you don't notice, it's never a problem.


There was a Seinfeld marathon on. The entire Seinfeld series, one after the other. I'd forgotten how good they were. Candles burned, the open fire glowed red.

Shane got really plastered and flirted with Rob, as Rob was saying good night. It was meant to be funny, quite possibly Shane was too pissed to pull it off, but it fell short of humour. It was a clear hit. Rob took it graciously and he and Lol headed to bed.

Shane passed out, we all raised our eyebrows.


When the wine the pot and Seinfeld started winding up for Sunday morning, I had to put down the first glass of red, no, I've got to drive. Then Luke ambushed me for a momentary lapse and we smoked a joint. Then I had to watch two more hours of Seinfeld and trays of food coming out for lunch. Everyone in the kitchen was Italian, or a non-Italian cooking Italian.

All other pitfalls avoided, no wine, no dope, I left later in the afternoon than I expected. Nice though, what a lovely distraction. Fresh air, big skies, a sense of freedom just in your surroundings.


No comments: