Sunday, June 20, 2010

Go On Ruin The Environment You Wanker

I went out to chop some wood for the open fire. The axe hit the first piece and that 'thwunk" sounded through the earth underneath me and I heard someone say, "Go on ruin the environment."

The voice was kind of at a distance, somewhere over the fence and far off, so it seemed. I didn't think much about it. Oh, that old peanut, I thought, if I thought anything at all.

I chopped some more. It was followed by, "Keep going you idiot, polluting the atmosphere."

I wondered where it was coming from.

I chopped the last pieces and the voice said, "You're a wanker, you are destroying the world."

I wondered who he was talking to? I picked up my wood and realised, he must have been talking about me.

He sounded angry, possible deranged. I thought it was some nutter. But who?

I laughed to myself, as I headed inside, imagine if he confronted me. I felt a chill up my spine, I have to admit, as I got closer to my back door, as whatever if was behind me got bigger and darker.

"Mate, I don't have any kids to leave anything to, let alone the world. I don't care about the environment, because nobody else does. Did you see what happened in Copenhagen?"

I wondered if he was unhinged enough to punch me for that comment? You know, the argument you shouldn't have. I wondered if he was one of those toothless types, who didn't understand any of it, but believed it all wholeheartedly?

"Yeah, but what about me fucken kids!!!!" (I kind of picture being held up against a wall with his spindly hands around my neck, spitting small droplets of spittle on my face as he shook)


I wondered if he'd buy,

the wood lets off just as much carbon if you burn it or if you let it rot on the ground. Which is true, I believe.

Or,

Australia's carbon emissions are negligible, so my open fire isn't effecting anyone.


It's the kind of confrontation where the dumb commit murder because they are passionate about something because the world has told them they should be. Understanding not required.

He sounded dumb.

I went inside and used two fire lighters to get my fire going. No, I didn't.


I thought that the deal was, that as long as we generate power from burning brown coal, burning wood actually pollutes less, or the same, or something?

Whichever, it's not so bad.


2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

I hate people like that. It's like the time a vegan told me that I shouldn't be eating meat because it is cruel (I then pointed to his shoes and asked him why it was ok for him to be wearing leather). If that guy really cared for the environment, he shouldn't be having any kids.

FletcherBeaver said...

It's funny how the actual problem with the world is that there are too many human beings and yet nobody really wants to talk about that.