Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Did I tell you about Sunday?



I went to visit my mum nice and early, you know, get it over and done with. Is that terrible? I slipped in next to her and sat with her as she watched the soccer on the giant TV. She looks so excited whenever she sees me now. It's sad and joyous all at the same time.
I forgot her mints, so we drove up to the shop to buy some. She loves going out for drives now. Small things... I guess we've all got it to look forward to. She looks so cute, when she buttons her jacket up to her neck and puts on her hat.

I went straight to Nicholas and Tim’s after mum. Nicolas has just picked up his new car and, of course, Tim doesn’t drive, doesn’t have a licence, so, Nicholas asked me to take him driving. He was good too, considering he doesn’t have many people in his life who drive. He’s done it all on his own, good for him. Tim hasn’t been very encouraging, it’s just not his thing, driving. He's not so good beyond his own interests. I think he holds Nicholas back sometimes, but, who am I to judge other people's relationships.

We dropped into see our friend Sara, who turned down our lunch offer. How's that? What is she like! She was the first to crunch Nicholas' door on the blue stone gutter. Scraunch!!!!!!! He looked distressed, I told him he just had to expect it. We had lunch in St Kilda, which Nicholas said was a perv-fest. Tim keeps the beautiful Nicholas on a short leash. He’s so funny when Tim isn’t around, much more relaxed. I ate chicken parmigiana, Nicholas had a BLT. Pineapple juice and coke. It was a lovely day sitting out in the sun watching the world go by.
We picked Tim up from our other friend Helen’s, later in the afternoon. They’d been to Chadstone shopping. Tim bought a new dinner set - he seemed more interested in that than the progress Nicholas was making with his driving.
We got back to their place around 6pm.

Shane sms’d me not long after, if you are home can you stir the soup. I was really ready to leave Tim and Nicholas’s, but I was watching a doco on deep sea fishing and had been just too lazy, up until that point, to get off my fat arse, despite the fact that their heating had been broken for a week and it was cold. Tim had wrapped himself up in a blanket by this stage, with a chardonnay. Natch! I took Shane’s sms as a sign and said I had to go.

I came home to the house full of smoke! The soup had, practically, turned black on the top of the stove, probably ready to burst into flames. It stank, with acrid smoke. It even stank up stairs. A thick plume hung over the lounge, once I switched the light on, a dark cloud hugging the ceiling. All that was missing was a few burly firemen appearing out of the haze.
Shane and Sebastian had left the soup on while they went shopping, but they'd hit a bar in Smith Street on the way back, getting rotten drunk on Montenegro (Vodka with Cacao) and, presumably, had lost track of time.

I thought, after what happened in the last few weeks, one would understand if I was a little sensitive about such things, as I threw the windows and doors open. I lit a fire, so then at least there was some heat being generated to counteract the cold gushing in.

Shane and Sebastian arrived home not long after, laughing and too drunk to care really, falling about in the kitchen, thinking it was a huge joke.
“Oh Jesus!”
“Jesus fuck!”
Ha, ha, ha, snigger, snigger, snigger.

No comments: