Friday, March 28, 2014

I Cooked for Everyone

The guys came over, David, Anthony, Sebastian and Jane. Jane's a girl, of course, not James using his "girlie" name, or anything.

I made risotto and an orange cake. It's all apart of me being a good host. Originally, we were all going out for dinner, as you do. But then I "manned" up and offered to cook. Sam prepped the ingredients for the risotto. 

I can't do meat and veg, or things that all need to be cooked for different lengths of time but still, some how, mysteriously end up on the plate at the same time, hot, ready, that just spins my head. That's a secret that I've never been let in on. I'm more of a one dish kind of guy - risotto, lasagne, pasta, stir fry (although that is Sam's speciality) roasts, you know, that kind of thing.

Anthony arrived in the middle of the afternoon reeking of alcohol. I guessed he had fallen off the wagon. He said an auntie of his had died and it was that that made him reach for a drink. Stupidly, as we were buying the white wine for the risotto, I suggested we get a bottle of red to scoff while I was cooking. I know, stupid me, I just don't think sometimes. I guess I don't need to add that Anthony took to the idea with enthusiasm.

Anthony carried the wine home, letting me carry everything else with no offer of a hand. I could have asked, I know, but I didn't.

I was going to cook chicken and mushroom risotto until I remembered that David is allergic to mushrooms. This cooking thing is trickier than you think. I made chicken and asparagus risotto instead.

I had started with the orange cake first when David called to tell me he'd be half an hour late and to tell me that Sebastian was coming, who is gluten intolerant and not happy when we forget the fact.  Oh well, no cake for him. But, David said he had a packet of gluten free biscuits at home which he thought had one last vanilla biscuit in it. Laugh. You should have seen Sebastian's face when we presented it to him garnished with an orange segment. It's alright, Sebastian loves doing that sort of stuff to other people. He's not so good with it being done to him... though, usually. But he managed to smile... in the end.

It all turned out well. It seems that I can cook a meal for six. Yay me, who'd have thought. Anthony headed back to the super market and got more wine and got really smashed and had to sleep it off. But, other than that, and the gluten free issue, it all turned out really well.

No comments: