Friday, June 19, 2015

Who Remembers Trams With No Doors?

Who remembers trams with no doors? It is hard to think now, in this over regulated country that we live in, that we were allowed to race along the road high up in a tram with nothing stopping us from falling out. Those OH&S guys would have a field day with that, justifying their jobs, essentially, justifying the work they do.

I was a kid, travelling home by tram with my school bag in one hand and my viola in the other, when I headed to the door of what was by then one of the last of the doorless trams, I tripped on something, maybe my own feet, and sailed out of the tram door, like superman, landing face down onto the road. I can still remember the "twang" sound my viola made. Fortunately for me, the tram had nearly stopped at my Burke Road tram stop. I was shocked, more than anything, completely taken by surprise, one minute I was stepping towards the door ready to get off the tram, the next minute I was "splat!" on the ground.

There were a number of people on the footpath, not to mention the driver of the tram and the other passengers. Nobody came to my aid, nobody asked if I was all right. I got up and headed up the hill to my house, more embarrassed than hurt. Of course, the minute I saw my mum I burst into tears.

I'm getting tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I think that is from remembering the love of my mother and how I miss that, even now, than any embarrassment I still feel.

I'm going to see my mum with my sister on Sunday. I'm not really sure why we go now? I guess it is for all those times she unquestionably took my hand and told me everything will be alright. I can still feel her hugging me and kissing me on the head, like she used to do.

That thought made the tears flow.

I've got a carrot cake in the oven, David is coming over to watch So You Think You Can Dance, with his new boyfriend Lachlan, who I am very undecided about. Still, David's track record being what it is, Lachlan shouldn't make the 6 month mark.

Those Saturday and Sunday afternoons from the age of ten to about the age of sixteen with my mum in the kitchen cooking taught me a thing, or two. Our large kitchen window faced north, so they were happy, sun filled days, me and mum. My mum's specialty was banana cake, which is David's favourite. He insists on banana cake every time, but sorry today it is carrot. Sam doesn't like the cream cheese icing, but I am doing that too.

I'm going for a bike ride as soon as the cake is cooked. The sun is shining, it is a lovely afternoon.

The cake is cooked and the sun has disappeared and the rain has fallen gently down. What to do?

No comments: