Thursday, June 18, 2015

Oh Y Gens, the world, actually, doesn't revolve around you.

Anthony suggested to me last week that the people who are whining the loudest about housing affordability were the usual entitled Y Geners, who weren't prepared to buy the houses they could afford, like the generations who came before them, no they wanted houses in Kew and Camberwell. 

I said to Anthony, "Oh, I'm sure that is not really the case."

Anthony, you were right, not that I ever doubt you, you understand, you are usually the wise one after all. 

The housing affordability crisis is something invented by the entitled, whining, make your fucken ears bleed Y Gens. They are bemoaning that they can't afford houses in Camberwell and Kew, as you said, oh the poor little possums. Read the article in the Age today, by Julie Szego. They want medium density housing to be built in Camberwell and Kew so they can afford to live there, my heart breaks. I always find it amusing that they cite the need to stop the urban sprawl, but they never want medium density housing to be build in Ringwood, now do they?

Apparently, we need to build one million houses in the confines of the current sprawl of old Melbourne Town.

Have you ever turned off the freeway at Elgar Road and driven down to Box Hill Central. That whole area could be bulldozed and medium density housing could be built there. There is no architectural heritage that needs to be preserved. There are swathes of suburbs across Melbourne that could have every house double on the blocks that now have only one house. But no, it's always Williamstown, Fitzroy or Prahran in which they want there soulless blocks flats to be built.

My first house had an outside toilet and bathroom, that was what I could afford. Some people have said to me, "But you were lucky enough for that house to be in North Fitzroy."

Lucky? No, that was researched and tracked down over 6 months of house hunting. I used to miss out on houses by only $1000 at auction, after auction, after auction. I just had to keep at it until I was successful, every Saturday, auction after auction. 

May I suggest that the current crop of house hunters put less effort into the yap about how unfair the world is, and a little more effort into finding somewhere to live.

A quick google search just now and I found at 250K unit in Croydon, a 350K unit in Box Hill and a 440K house in Nunawading and a 470K unit in Mitcham. That was after I spent 5 minutes looking.

I have just spent half an hour on the Internet looking at houses for sale. There are many, many houses all over Melbourne in the under 500K price range.

I, actually, love the research side of it. There is a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, house in Melton on a large block for 250K. A 450K house in Coburg North. 350K unit in Reservoir. 450K house and a 470K house in Reservoir.

If I was just starting out and had a small budget, I'd try Sunbury. I used to have a country property at Woodend and I used to shop in Sunbury from time to time. Sunbury has a direct train service and a nice shopping centre. I found a 3 bedroom home for 300K. And a 2nd 3 bedroom house for 300K that boasts alfresco dinning.

That is what I have found in a little over an hour, without trying very hard. Imagine what you could find if you were serious?

No comments: