Monday, December 19, 2016

Buy The Good Stuff, Don't Buy All The Shit

As Sam and I walked into town in the sun, under the blue sky, yesterday, I turned to him and said, "Do you realise that we don't have to buy any Xmas presents for anyone."

"I know," he said. He smiled.

Is that the ultimate post modern, ecologically sound, anti establishment stance on what amounts to the biggest waste of time and money the retail year knows?

Or are we just a couple of Xmas sadoes?

Sam and I don't buy each other Xmas presents. (We don't buy each other birthday presents) I don't bother even making a passing attempt to get the Xmas decos out of the attic any more. Sam's family all live OS and this year I'm not speaking to mine. Oh, long story I can't be bothered recounting here. Suffice to say that my family has a long history of fallings out - is that the plural of falling out? - historically, with generations past, and this year it is my turn, first time for this generation, first time for my immediate family. My sister is really upset, blah, blah, blah, yap, yap, yap. Whatever? (I do have a touch of the psychopaths about me, with the ability to have zero empathy for a particular situation really easily, I have always know that.) 

We have everything we need, Sam and I. If we really want something we go and buy it. There isn't really anything we want for. I've stopped Sam's mindless replacement spending, which he thanked me for, as we stood at the intersection of Russell and Bourke Streets, as we headed to the dumpling shop for lunch. He had the buy-something-new throw-out-the-old-perfectly-good-thing spending mentality when I met him that so many people have today. The very reason why the human race doesn't have a hope in hell of surviving. Nah, it is not going to happen people. Fasten your seat belts the next 50 years, 34 years, 10 years are going to be a bumpy ride, fade to black, over.

Buy it, if you really want it. Buy the good stuff, but stop buying shit on a whim. Stop mindlessly spending money just to fill in an afternoon because you are bored, or because your life doesn't feel fulfilling enough.

I bought new runners, my old ones really were fucked, with holes around each little toe area. Sam returned a work Xmas function outfit that he didn't wear, as he didn't go to his work Xmas function.  (The big company one, he went to his team lunch) They were all dressing up as something, soccer players, or something? Sam and I are equal on the antisocial ratings, a perfect fit some might say. 

I didn't notice that the city was any busier than normal. Xmas time, really? What I did notice was all the homeless people, that is new, which is an absolute disgrace in a rich country such as ours. The Liberal Party, conservative policies must really be working. 

Liberal Party policy is screw over the poor, as being poor is their own fault, and give to the rich, as they are the "lifters" in our society. The evidence of these policies is now clearly apparent.

Why does a wealthy country like Australia have a revenue problem, culminating in deficit budgets? Because taxes have been cut to make the rich richer. And who has ultimately paid for that? Well, the people who ultimately paid for that are now sleeping in doorways all around Melbourne. Well done Australia.

No comments: