Friday, December 30, 2016

Xmas Dinner

We left our place around 4.30pm. It was a gorgeous day, as it turned out, just the ticket for driving to the country.

We got to Kyneton just after 6pm. The Kelpies, Pumpkin and Rocky were very excited to see Buddy. They ran around in their dog pack until the arse sniffing was complete.

All of my family gathered together, what is left of it, in one room. (Oh, I guess there is the mad lot from my mum’s side, but as I haven’t even met some of them, I feel justified not having counted them as family… well, I never counted them)

We ate BBQ lobster and prawns in a butter sauce as entre. (The prawns, essentially, were soaking in butter) We all talked about our high cholesterol later as though it was a mystery.

Actually, we were down a couple of dogs this year on other years, as my niece’s dogs are now in New Zealand. We sat outside on the big table, the dogs sitting next to us gazing up. Buddy took full advantage for a dog who never gets fed at the table.

There was roast dinner, turkey, chicken, pork, ham, and plum pudding and raspberry pavlova. No bon-bon party hats this year, though.

I got a big tub of M&Ms. Like I need that.

The nieces chatted enthusiastically all night.

My sister got drunk.

We left at 10.30pm. I’d only had two glasses of wine.

Buddy was funny at the end when he realised we were going, he hightailed it to the car. “Take me home to my lounge room, I’m sick of sitting on the back veranda looking in through the window.” Dogs aren’t allowed inside at my sister’s place.

It was plain sailing home. It had been a gorgeous day, one in which you were confident to go out just in shorts and t-shirt and crocs, (yes, crocs at Xmas, head hanging in shame… but, it was the country) it has been my holiday outfit. The night sparkled as we shot through it, down the Caulder, on a big strip of winding liquorice, it’s like driving home from Bolago.


No comments: