Saturday, December 08, 2018

Good Morning World

I’d pulled the doona over me at some stage in the night, really as protection from the fan, blowing through the heat, but really it was still too hot for a doona. I like the breeze from the fan, I like fresh air.

I tossed and turned a little as the morning broke wanting to stay asleep. Sweating, damp cotton, humidity, doesn’t make for a comfy sleep.

That wretched fucking bird squawking at 7am didn’t help. If I lived in the country, and had a gun, I would have shot the thing, no second thoughts.

The rubbish truck emptying the bins at 7.30am, certainly didn’t help either. I was awake after that, I knew it, but I tried to stay in bed, to no avail.

Grrrrr! One eye open. Both eyes open.

I sat up on the side of the bed, a bit giddy, still wanting to lay down, still wanting to be lying down.

I rubbed my feet gently on the floorboards, as my eyes fluttered to the permanent open position. I love that feeling of the old wooden boards against the soles of my feet. The softness, the porous feeling of the wood, like skin. It calms the aggravated soul.

It was still hot, although not as hot as it was yesterday.


No comments: