Sunday, October 25, 2020

Haircuts

Sam and I went and got haircuts yesterday, the first Saturday since hairdressers reopened after lockdown.

The queue was long, we had to wait an hour, but we hadn't had haircuts since, um, months. I don't know how long.

So, we sat on the chairs provided and the queue moved along.

Sam wanted his favourite hairdresser but didn’t feel like he could ask, the situation being what it was. Then we were at the front of the queue, and the guy in the number one chair was waiting for a specific hairdresser, which inspired Sam to hold out for his favourite hairdresser, so I went from number 3 in the queue, to the next to be asked.

The hairdresser asked me how I wanted my hair and I told her. But, she looked like she was going to give me a weird part, kind of way down the side of my head, so I corrected it and she put my part where I indicated, higher up on my head.

She had it laid out like it should be, you know, squirt of the water bottle, run a comb through it, then she took the clippers and ploughed into the ear-side of the part, clipping it all down to pretty much nothing at all.

She saw the look on my face and she made some comment about me not expecting it to be that short.

"Um... no," I said. Nervous smile.

Then she asked me how short I wanted the top, indicating where she was going to cut, holding up the hair with a comb. I told her she could cut it shorter, well, I mean it all had to be evened up just a bit, surely. But, she seemed reluctant to cut the top as short as I asked. I'm guessing she was trying to make up for how short she cut the rest of it. 

So, I have ended up with a part high up on my head, emphasised by the fact by the side of my hair being shaved off and the top being left inordinately long.

Good thing about hair, it grows, I thought, as I got up from the chair.

I was finished first so I waited outside… rubbing the bits of hair out, trying to wipe them from the collar of my shirt. There is always microscopic hair around the collar of your shirt. Then, I was off to get some lunch for the two of us, but Sam text to say he was finished too and to wait. So, I did.

He came out onto the street. "What do you think?" I asked hesitantly.

He looked at me and thought. He opened and closed his mouth. Then he said, "It is a bit lesbian haircut, if I was truthful."

Yeah, great, I thought.

We got Korean chicken schnitzels and walked home.


2 comments:

Rephiir said...

Lol aww that's so funny.

Lesbian haircut indeed hehe.
Can you edit this and post a photo (even if you just edit out your face for privacy sake) I'd love to see it.

Mine doesn't grow that much anymore, which I used to be annoyed about but I've embraced my baldiness now. The hairdressers used to talk my ear off about their personal drama (which I always found so tedious) "Oh yes, please tell me more about your boyfriends inability to listen to you while you drone about more boring sh$t". I remember saying to myself as a kid "I hope I don't have to come back to hairdressers in the future". Be careful what you wish for sonny-boy hehehe

FletcherBeaver said...

I go into a kind of stasis, that is particular to haircuts. I close my eyes and relax to the point of nearly falling asleep. It is my dreamy haircut reality. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that is why hairdressers don't tend to talk to me when they are cutting my hair.