Wednesday, October 07, 2020

MacBook Keyboard

I have been using Sam's spare 13 inch MacBook all week. It is kind of the old trusty go-to laptop when our better laptops are out of action.

My MacBook Pro is four years old and it has one of the first butterfly keyboards and, quite frankly, it has been a total disaster from the day I got it. It has been really terrible. How Apple made such a mistake with this keyboard is beyond me.

I think it was all the keys around the K key that stuck first, one by one. Then it was the zero key, which never came good again, it has doubled the zero every time I pressed it for nearly four years. How annoying do you think that has been. Then it was the O key that went dead, the O and the zero together for a time, that was distracting. Then it was the space bar, the comma and the full stop that wouldn't work properly. And there were various other keys that have either stuck, or gone dead.

I have usually been able to fix them with that high pressure air, all except the zero which has never come good. Do you know how many tins of high pressure air I have been through?

Then Sam read Apple had come up with a fix for their dud keyboard. Initially, it was just the 13 inch laptop, but then they added the 15 inch laptop, so in we went with my laptop to get it fixed.

We had to go to one of those privately owned Apple shops and not "Temple," as Sam refers to the Apple Genius shops due to the lockdown. They um'd and ah'd about it coming in under warranty, being 4 years old. "Let's see," said the guy behind the counter. "I'll let you know before we do anything."

Any way, we have just heard that it is being fixed under warranty, and so it should be too. It has always been crap since the day I got it.

I don't mind the 13 inch, it is an easy size to use, but the screen just isn't quite big enough for everything I look at. And Sam sets it up with my own log-in so I can access all my usual stuff. And it stopped the separation anxiety I would have felt if I didn't have a laptop to use. Oh, I have had it bad in the past when I haven't had my laptop, which has only happened a couple of times due to whatever reason, and I am glad I am not feeling it again.

Anyway, Friday should be the day I get mine back.


No comments: