Friday, October 02, 2020

Pruning The Creeper

The weather has been gorgeous, it has turned from winter to spring. The sun has been shining, the sky has been blue. It has been nice to waved winter well away.

I got up the ladder and chopped the creeper on my side wall. It grows wildly and has to be tamed every so often, otherwise it becomes a monster. I did some yesterday and filled the garden cutting's bin, with just a small section. But, today was such a gorgeous day and there was so much more to do, so I got up there again. I really mustn't have done it for a number of years. 

I picked a spot in the middle of the wall and the first thing I saw was a nest with some eggs, so I chopped around it, trying not to disturb it, which I didn't. And a few hours later I had it all chopped down, except for where the wall connects to the back of the house, I'll get up on the roof at a later date and do that, once the rest of the cuttings have been taken away by the council.

The eggs in the nest looked a bit like they were now sitting in a forest that had been completely logged out. (Must have been Liberal Party policies) And then on dusk, I saw the saddest thing, the mother bird grimly sitting on her eggs now completely exposed to the world, a sitting duck for my cat, Milo. So, cross your fingers for the mother bird, I thought.

I must say, I do like the creeper once it has been ruthlessly cut back, it takes on a somewhat ancient and ethereal quality, like a European piazza. It is very satisfying. Funny how something that was such a huge ugly monster can be reduced to something fragile and fine.

There was no sign of that mother bird this morning. I had been the ruthless logger destroying the world and she had been the victim now wiped out. So easily. Habitat gone, the story of the world.

We never feel the apex predator guilt that we should.


No comments: