Tuesday, May 17, 2022

I Went Into The Office

I'm good. The summer has ended and the days are darker and colder, sad face. I'm still working from home, of course. 

Actually, I went into the office for the first time since March 2020. They upgraded my laptop and I had to go in and get it and get it set up and all that blah, blah, blah. The security is better, I was encouraged to go in. It was suggested to me.

So, I got up at 6am. Showered, ate my vegemite toast and drank my coffee and left by 7am. It has been so long since I have done the walk that it almost seemed like a new experience. Ha, ha.

I got into the office at 7.30am. Nobody was there, the lights weren’t on. (They go on and off with sensors so, you know…) My big boss wasn’t in, nor was Big Ange. The three off us are the early arrivals. My big boss gets 500K, and Big Ange is a manager of her own dept, and the person who possibly lives the farthest away, so that’s their reasons for arriving early. I arrive early so I can leave early.

I cracked it for the morning breakfasts the company is putting on to entice us all back to the office. So, I stuffed my face with pastries and got the cute baristas to make me several coffees. I managed to ejaculate cream from a passionfruit profiterole all over the carpet in front of every one. Everyone looked. I grabbed a serviette to clean it up but the catering manager said, “Don’t worry about it, Christian, that’s why we have cleaners.” I gave it a few wipes none the less. Well, I already had the serviettes in my hand.

And then I met up with my muscle-bound IT guy (who is really nice) and I got my new laptop. I waited for the rest of my team to show up for work, testing out the new machine while I waited, getting some work done. We have all been encouraged to come into the office for at least one day a week, a directive I have thus far managed to ignore. Not one person in the finance team came into the office. (Apparently, The rich lawyers have maintained 5 empty floors in the Rialto for 2 years, more, although some of the lawyers are back in their offices.) So, at 10am I packed up my new laptop and headed home.

Not much has changed on the home front. 

Sam and I are waiting for Sam’s 18 year old nephew to arrive. Sam is getting all sorts of things ready for him, short of this kid’s jocks & socks. He is here in weeks. He’ll start uni second semester. So that will be nice, we hope.

We're all crossing our fingers that the great big cunt running the country will be voted out on Saturday. Hold our breath. Cross your fingers, cross everything!


No comments: