Sunday, May 29, 2022

LouLou

11am. LouLou messaged me and asked me if I could pick her up from the hospital. (She went back in by ambulance this week as she wasn't feeling well) She said it was okay if she couldn’t, as she had a backup plan.

I said, “Sure, let me know when you are ready.”

Sam was annoyed by LouLou coming to stay yet again. He thinks her family should be taking care of her. 

“What is wrong with her sister? Her mother?” 

He has to cook for her, and he doesn’t really want to do that. And it could even be that he has set the room up for his nephew (which he has) now and he doesn’t want it disturbed. I’m not sure, as he’s not really forth coming with his grievances, he just gets pissy and I have to guess to an extent what he is thinking.

So, it was LouLou, or pissed off Sam? And, we have the whole leaking hot water service thing going on and suddenly it all seemed too much.

I was supposed to be going to visit Auntie Mary with Roz, but it had been cancelled at the last minute due to a covid scare. So, I made an excuse about me forgetting I was going to visit Auntie Mary. 

“Roz has just messaged me to say she’d be here in half an hour. Sorry, I completely forgot. Memory like a sieve.”

LouLou called me. It turned out because I’d said I’d go and pick her up, she had said no to her back up plan and now she had no one to pick her up. (Or she never had a backup plan and she was just hoping I’d be able to do it?)

“Is Sam going to be home?” asked LouLou. “Could I come around and stay with him?”

“No, he’s coming with me.” (Once I start lying, they just roll off my tongue. Many years ago, I realised being a really good liar never really did me any good, so I don’t lie now, as a rule. The truth is always more effective. But, you know, it’s like riding a bike)

“Could you leave the front door open and I’ll catch an Uber around to your place?”

“Oh, I’d rather not.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll work something out,” said LouLou.

I hung up.

I messaged her a short time later to make sure she had some else to pick her up. She didn’t.

Oh, how do I get myself into these situations, I thought? Seriously. (see lying never leads to good outcomes)

I messaged her back a short time later again to say Roz was happy to visit Aunty Mary on her own and that I’d come and pick her up.

Are you sure? She messaged back.

12.30pm. I went and picked LouLou up. Sam had just cooked me lunch and was annoyed again that I was leaving the noodles on the bench to get cold.

(You know, I have to drive all the way around to the front of the hospital, because the street is still blocked off due to the new underground station being built… and because LouLou’s sense of direction is worse than anything I have ever experienced, and because the street is all boarded up right out the front of the hospital, she can’t find her way around all the boarded up bits to Royal parade.

“I never thought you’d be coming to pick me up in the street in my pyjamas,” said LouLou when she got in the car.

As we got out of the car back home, LouLou said that she didn’t have any clothes, as she had come down in the ambulance from Bolago and she’d hope her family would bring clothes in when they visited, but they didn’t. I wasn’t sure if she meant they just didn’t bring the clothes, or if they didn’t come and visit? (She’d been in hospital since Tuesday) Sam rolled his eyes taking it as some sort of proof when I told him.

Sam and I ate noodles for lunch. (LouLou is anorexic so she doesn't eat. Not since 1971)


No comments: