Sunday, April 26, 2009

The more stuff mantra for living

I'm lying in bed gazing out at the gum trees waving in the breeze, the endless forest before me, the bracken, the undergrowth, many diferent shades of green, beside the steal gray, gravel driveway snaking through.
It's funny that I think about the city, only once I'm resting in the country. Ah, to be human is a contradiction all of its very own.

You know, I think the world financial crisis could be a positive thing. Maybe we'll all learn to live with less and then there will be more to go around, for all the planet's children. I think we are all conned into believing that we are all much wealthier, we need to acquire more and more stuff to make us happy. And, I think, for the most part it is a con. The more stuff mantra for living only, really, benefits politicians and leaders of business, to further their political careers and to make them even richer than they were before. I, actually, think that the more stuff you have, the more unhappy it makes you, maintaining that stuff - paying your bigger mortgage, paying your bigger credit card balance, paying all of your debt. You work harder and harder to maintain your empire and you work harder and harder to then acquire even more stuff than you had before. Nicely keeping society subdued, burried, with less time to think about about anything beyond the "normal paradigm."

One question Mr Politician, If we are all wealthier than we have ever been, why is persoanl debt at record levels?

It was just a thought, as I lay back in my big, comfy bed watching the majestic gum trees stretching skywards, waving their leaves in the fresh country breezes, towards the over cast sky, as the rain falls. The browns, the greens and the greys are deeper with the wet sheen covering them. I pull the blankets up, as the light blushes golden in my room.

No comments: