Thursday, April 02, 2009

Out and proud

"You're not very gay," she said.

"Yes, I am. Very gay," I said. "Fully fledged."

She laughed nervously.

"Card carrying," I added.

"But, you know what I mean," she said.

"I'm sure I don't."

"I wouldn't have picked you as gay."

I'm never sure if that is a good thing. I mean, I don't really want to be an effeminate screamer, (not that there is any thing wrong with that) but I also want people to know I'm gay. I'm out and proud, why shouldn't they know.

"You are not obviously gay," she said. "You know...because..." She raised her eyebrows up, like I should know.

"I don't wear pink mohair jumpers..." I offered, almost jokingly.

"Yes," she said. "Exactly!" She seemed pleased with that.


I'm not a very forceful flag waving poofter, although having said that there is no aspect of my life where people don't know I'm gay. (is that a double negative?) But, when I have conversations like the one above, I'm never really sure what to say.

How would you like me to prove it, always seems to come to mind.


4 comments:

Bold oy! said...

That's too funny; she is so unconscious of her stereotyping that she thinks everybody must be seeing things the same way as she does. You did great in your answers, she just didn't quite get the mohair joke as a joke.

You are right on when you write dialogue!

Oliver said...

How would this woman have felt if you approached her and said

"You're not very maternal are you? I mean, the pictures of your kids are lovely, but you just don't seem like a mother. I never would have assumed from all the make up and business suits and after work cocktails that you would be capable of raising children! Wow, how about that eh?"

Adaptive Radiation said...

Shouldn't it be a pink mohair 'cardigan' or 'sweater'. 'Jumper' sounds so heterosexual.

FletcherBeaver said...

It did cross my mind to ask her if her 16 year old son was available so I could prove it to her.

And yes, I think I'll use pink mohair cardigan in future, if need be, sounds much better.