Saturday, May 18, 2013

Happy Working

The people at my new job are nice, despite what I said about how sad it is to work in the suburbs. Okay, so Richmond isn't exactly the burbs, but some mornings it feels like it when I am trickling down Victoria Street behind some sodding tram... and all those useless cunts who stick to the ridiculous 40 kph speed limits like the life of their first born depends on it. 

"Move along you dopey twat," I often hear myself saying out loud as I am up their arse gunning my engine. "Get out of my way!"

However...

My colleagues in the office think I am smart and switched on and that I am helping them splendidly. It is kind of nice to be thought of in that way, I am not used to it. It has been a long time. Maybe in the first years of the black law firm, but certainly not in the final 5, or so, years was I ever thought of as anything special.

Of course, in the last two years Jack has said that all of the companies, except one - and quite possibly Stupidity & Co before the present one, with that incompetent, stupid Elaine running the show - have all give me good reviews. But, I don't know, it doesn't seem the same as a permanent role.

So why does the current role impress with it's favourable assessment? I don't know. Maybe it is for the simple fact that they said it out loud to me. We all respond to a little praise, we all perk up with some favourable light being shone upon us, hey.

Am I making any sense? I am sitting up in bed with Sam, it is midnight and he has a sore throat and despite it being a Friday night, insisted on going to bed. Of course, Nana Sam is always in bed early. If he doesn't get his 8 hours sleep, he thinks his head will explode, or his bum will drop off, or something. I don't know. The piano music is already playing, like the wind up music for acceptance speeches at an awards ceremony.

So...

I am rewriting the companies Org Chart, at the moment. There have been many changes and they haven't had the time to rewrite it. It is a multi national company, with branches all over the place. They are impressed that I could just pick up the Org Chart and rearrange the departments and job positions and management structures and do it with minimal instruction, or some such thing. I mean, it is just lines and boxes, after all. It is just essentially this one goes with this one goes with that, let's face it.

So that is me done for the week. I'm not finding full time work too taxing, in fact, it has been quite a breeze. The week has just flown by.

I think the manager was intimating that they may have a role for me when she gets back... which would be great, however... I just don't want to drive to work, even if it is only a 10 minute drive. I want to walk into the CBD at my leisure, not having to battle the peak hour traffic. 

When you walk your whole life exists at such a different pace to the pace it accelerates to when you have to get behind the wheel.  The roads and the traffic and the cars are still around you, but it is as if you exist on another plane altogether.

Am I being too fussy?

Jill thinks I am.

Sam hasn't commented, yet.

I don't know?

No comments: