Saturday, May 18, 2013

Eating and Shopping and Walking and Perving

We were up to the cold and the rain dribbling from the sky, like wet sprinkles, a giant shaking his wet hands over the city, as I headed out first up to get wood for the open fire this morning. The chill had to be taken out of the air, you know. Lately, I have begun to think that it is an expensive way to heat the house. Usually, I use nearly 2 tons of wood for the cold six months in the middle of the year, which costs $600. My gas - running the central heating - bill is never that much, even for the whole year. But an open fire is always nice.

I forgot to put the dishwasher on last night and there are no clean bowls, so I put the dishwasher on first thing. And I have to wait to eat cereal.

Sam’s mum called, she had a girl from a wealthy family who is in Melbourne for Sam to call.

She said she will disown Sam if he doesn’t make contact with this girl. I think she is getting a little desperate now that Sam is in his 30's.

Sam called Charlie (who comes from Sams home town) to ask him what he does? I shrug and tell him I can't help him. 


"We had to tell our mothers when they lived down the road. You guys don't even live in the same country."

I was getting hungry by the time Sam was talking to Charlie. I say to Sam when he gets off the phone, “do you realise that we are not eating breakfast because we are waiting for a machine to finish washing the 2 bowls that we need for our cereal.” We both laugh… nervously.

I wondered what my grandmother would have said.

Not long after, Sam decided that he has to achieve something clearly. He started tiding and he started telling me to clean up too. He was ironing as he repeatedly yelled out tasks for me to do. But, you know, I was happy on my laptop and I respond by putting on Aretha Franklin and headphones.

At 11.30am, Sam announced, “See, it isn’t that hard.” I looked around the room and I had to admit that the place looked really tidy. I guess, it took less than an hour. It smelt good too, as Sam used oxygen bleach wipes - I quite like that smell. It is kind of baking powder, wholesome and organic. Even if it isn't, it smelt like it is.


We decided that it was too late for breakfast by the time the dishwasher clicked over to its drying cycle and the clock’s hands were bending towards midday.

We headed out the door for Pho in Victoria Street. Gertrude Street and Smith Street have be come foodies destinations in the last few years, sure, but who would eat around here with the prices the eateries charge when Victoria Street is within walking distance. Gertrude Street is the place to be seen eating, but sadly none of the restaurants are as amazing as the hype that surrounds them.

It rained as soon as we left the house. We headed back to the house and got umbrellas. You know that Sam has an aversion to getting his hair wet... like a curly-haired chick who has used a hair straightener. Of course, it didn’t rain again and we had to carry umbrellas around for no reason. I hate that. It proves there is no god, because if there was a good that wouldn’t happen, obviously. Well, it was either umbrellas, or drive? And I need all the exercise I can get. I need to walk everywhere I need to go for the rest of my life.

We shopped in the Asian Grocery shops after we ate. I stood on the footpath and listened to the druggies chatting to each other.

“When did you get out?” asked the Asian girl with the very shiny skin.

“I made bail on Monday,” said the toothless, olive skinned lad in the red shirt.

A second guy, a tall Aussie guy pulled something from his pocket, I think it was money. The shiny-faced Asian girl seemingly dropped something out of her mouth and handed it to the second guy.

“Are you going to be here?” asked the second guy, as he walked away.

The shiny-faced Asian girl nodded.

“Because I don’t want to look for you later.”

We bought Buddy his weekly pork bone. He loves them. I noticed the shiny-faced Asian girl had left when we head home not long after. How is that tall Aussie guy going to find you for his drugs later, I thought. Now that is just rude. It is just annoying when a drug dealer doesn’t deliver as promised.

We loaded up the fire in the lounge room when we got home and drove Buddy to the dog park.

There were some young Sudanese kids playing football. As we walked passed, at one point, one of the kids turned to me and asked, “Can he walk on a lead yet?”

Fancy him remembering that, I thought. “Yes, he can, he has got used to it.” Once when we first started going to the dog park, Buddy wouldn’t walk on a lead at all when we were trying to leave. On that occasion, a large group of black kids surrounded us and wanted to know what was up with him. This kid obviously was one of those kids that day.

I was kind of delighted that the kid remembered Buddy and I was delighted on another level that he was interested enough to ask.

I didn’t remember him, though.

It is football season, for sure. There were plenty of boys kicking the football around.


He played football with his mate all afternoon

sexy boy

Those sports pants fitted him really well

Good legs

nice arse

You can see buddy in the back ground

kick it to me

kick it to me

Oops, I think he is onto me

2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

I enjoy the excellent pho but am a bit over the drug dealers, especially on the street corner where I usually wait for the 109 tram afterwards.

FletcherBeaver said...

I find their conversation fascinating. Santo heads off into the grocer and I position myself close to a gaggle of them and listen to them. I find them amazing.

But, having said that, I do understand what you mean, they do often kind of career along the footpath with very little regard for anybody else.