Sunday, July 06, 2014

Quiet Sunday Afternoon

A quiet Sunday afternoon sitting in front of my laptop. Sam is on the couch behind me playing wii, or one of those games, the secret of which I feel like I have never been let in on. Buddy is lying in front of the open fire in his super dog pose, like he is flying through the air, still and quiet. 

Gladys Knight sings, "Feel like making love, feel like making dreams come true." 

The light outside is dim, the sky is grey. The day slides away into the late afternoon.

Dreams come true.

I might get some more wood for the open fire. I might make a cup of tea. I might...

Glady's sings, "So sad the song."

Sam thinks I drink too much tea and he tells me that I don't need another cup, after he says he doesn't want one himslef. He always says, "Make me tea then," when he hears the kettle boiling. 

Right on queue. I'm now making two cups. 

Today, we've eaten pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast and pies for lunch.

Suddenly, Sam is reaching for a charger saying, "oh, oh, oh... charger! Man, I am going to kill you, I'm going to slice your throat."

I jump a little... but presume he is not talking to me.

The fire roars. The tea is hot, nice and strong. Never make me milky weak tea, I can't drink it. Blah! I think, maybe, I sound like my mum. I remember to put sugar in Sam's tea. I always forget to put sugar in his tea, which never pleases him. I never remember to stir it either, that is why I always give him a spoon.

Sam's dragon ship is sailing... whatever that means.

Sam tugs at his hair. He tugs at his hair when he is nervous, the game mustn't be going well. It's adorable, even if I tell him to stop doing it whenever I see him pulling at it. Sometimes I wonder if I make him nervous, when his hand moves to his head almost unknowingly when we are talking.

He says he'll stop pulling at his hair when I stop smoking. 

"Get out!" he yells. I jump. "Fuck! That's my boat. Have you got my boat? Fuck, where is my boat now?"

Buddy snores.

Gladys sings, "For once in my life..."

"I need to go to Dragon Roast Island," Sam says. He throws the game on the coffee table. "I'm done."

We're making creamy cauliflower soup with crusty bread for dinner. Well, pancakes and pies so far today? And the cauliflowers looked so nice shopping in Victoria Street yesterday in the sun.

Walking the dog. Eating good food. A nice weekend.

No comments: