Sunday, May 31, 2015

Move That Fat Arse Fast Fat Boy

I've been back walking for an hour each day after work. I think I am resigned to the fact that I am going to have to do this on a permanent basis. We all have to exercise, after all, and I spend a lot of my work life sitting at a desk and I spend a lot of my home life sitting behind a computer. You've just got to move about, sitting crossed legged on the floor at the coffee table does nobody any good.

So, off I went at 5pm, at dusk. I'm still getting used to the winter dark. Funny how it comes around, as though for the first time, and the world changes so completely. Sunshine, grey. It has been raining all day and the evening wasn't any different. I got half way around my hour long circuit before the rain started, so that was good.

But then the rain came down. Me, with my $400 head phones on, with the rain falling down on my head. It was the head phones I was worried about, I didn't care if I got wet. I stood under a shop veranda, on the corner of Canning Street, when the rain was the heaviest. I wiped the water from the head phones, as I danced on the spot, as the rain drops fell in sheets in the street lights, like a million fairies floating to the ground. I danced because it was cold or, at least, so I didn't get cold.

The rain stopped, so I set off again. Thinking ahead, there were no more shop verandas to take shelter under until Brunswick Street, so I ran, fearing for my musical ears muffs. I used to run when I was in my twenties and I used to love it, but I don't run now, usually, you know, due to the issues with high impact, but, I enjoyed it. 

I ran from Canning Street to Brunswick Street when the rain came down again. I stopped and danced again under the awning just passed Brunswick Street, as the rain fell heavily. I wiped the water from my headphones, like doing an exercise of hands on heads, rubbing my hands across the head bow.

The rain stopped and I ran all the way home. It felt good. I floated along the foot path and I was home in no time. I felt good to run, I hardly ever run any more. Funny the rain, rather than driving me back, it propelled me forward gloriously.

No comments: