Friday, July 31, 2015

Don't Mention the OCD

Mazz doesn't like people mentioning her OCD. I mean, she doesn't have OCD, as such, but she, maybe, has a touch of it. I joke about it with her sometimes. I leave paperwork on my desk and I say to her just before I leave, "Hey Mazz, see all that paperwork strewn across my desk."

"Yes," she'll say.

"Don't worry about it, I'm going to be using it first thing in the morning."

"Damn you Christian " she says. She'll curse to the sky with her fingers outstretched.

And we'll both laugh.

She doesn't have OCD, she is just organised. There is a touch of the demonic about her organisation, granted, but it is just being smart and efficient and getting things done.

She and I are very procedurally driven at work that is why we get on so well. And we both have the same sense of humour, of course. And I make her cake, that is a big part of the reason. Ha ha. I do make her cake, that's not the funny part. We both love cake. I experiment making her gluten free cake, practising for when I have to cook for Sebastian.

A couple of days ago, Obese Olwyn (Oh, could you imagine sniffing those panties, it would be like wrapping a hammock around your face, I am sure) came around to see Kirin - she and Kirin are like that, I'm holding up my hand with my fingers crossed - and as she walked by Mazz's desk, she tipped over a pile of letters that Mazz had on the edge of her desk to be posted. "What does that do to your OCD?" asked Obese Olwyn.

Well, as you can imagine, Mazz was annoyed by her stupid act and by the insinuation and she corrected Obese Olwyn.

"I'm sorry, but I do not have OCD and quite frankly I find you saying that offensive," said Mazz. "Just because I am organised and efficient with what I do it doesn't mean..."

Obese Olwyn laughed, her fat jolly laugh. "Oh Relax, it was a joke."

"That is what I am trying to tell you, Olwyn, I don't find it funny, not at all."

Mazz sent Olwyn an apology email a bit later saying sorry if she over reacted.

The thing is, that is what Kirin says about Mazz, you know because Mazz is organised and procedure driven and Kirin is sloppy and slap dash. Quite clearly Obese Olwyn has got it from Kirin, which, to some people, could be construed as bullying. Mazz's manager Kirin shouldn't be saying such things to other staff members  no matter who that other staff member is.

Obese Olwyn is a pain in the arse, she is really loud and is always into everybody's business. You could say that she tackles office gossip like she tackles her food, whole heartedly. If I am over the other side of the office, I just don't seem to be able to have a conversation with anyone without Obese Olwyn throwing her 2 cents worth. 1 cent worth in. Yabbing-on uninvited.

She goes away on holidays with her parents, at 40, you know the type. She and her parents have just been on a cruise. I can imagine Obese Olwyn in her neck to knees standing forlornly on the deck gazing wistfully out to sea.

No comments: