Friday, July 31, 2015

Mazz's Last Day

I was up at 5.30am. It was dark. I wrote my blog until 7.30am, catching up on all the work gossip. I, actually, love my time writing in the morning.

I got to work just after 8am. Mazz was in agony sitting at her desk. She’d been standing on the train and it had jolted violently and had sent her back into spasm. She moved like someone whose back had seized up.

We had a state of the company talk first up, at 9.30. Mazz had taken pain killers by then and was floating in the air high above us all.

The CEO gave the talk. To start with he thanked the traditional owners – after some vigilant, politically correct, type who was sitting in the front row reminded him – and he gave the distinct impression he didn’t know who the traditional owners were.

Then One of The Execs got up and played fifty questions, the answers were all found in the CEO’s talk (yawn), with hand picked minions giving chocolates to the people who got the questions right. You know, that earnest, mind numbing, team building exercise that the sincere type of exec pulls who thinks they are doing some thing worth wile for the employees.

One of One of The Execs hand pick minions was The IncorrectPayment woman the latest employee with the massive incorrect payment going out to them. It was Kirin who did the calculations, another one of her fuck ups. I decided I wasn’t going to say anything about the incorrect payment to Kirin. We just had to get through Mazz’ last day without her mentioning it, which she didn’t, just by the way. The IncorrectPayment woman has never mentioned the variance in her payment, lets hope she doesn’t start now.

It was the path of least resistance. If I say nothing, I don’t have to do anything. If I say something, Kirin would make me do the calculations, chase it up and quite probably, she’d tell Paddington Bear that it was my fault, or, much more likely, Mass’ fault. This way, if an auditor picks it up, Kirin has no wriggle room to squirm out of it, or chance to blame somebody else. I hope that doesn’t happen, but I am purely thinking of myself here.

We had a morning tea after the state of the company address to wish Mazz good bye.

Mazz’ last day, it went quick in the end. Mazz, Kirin and I walked out at 4pm. We said good bye on the foot path as the sun shone. I waved good bye to Mazz as she walked away but she didn’t look back. Her willowy frame, in her oversized coat, headed along the street, leading with her hands, as she does, almost Doctor Seuss like. I will miss her. I will miss her smile and her positivity and her humour. I will miss her camaraderie, laughing with her, dishing on the staff who annoy us. I will miss the teamwork and the honesty and the fun we had. We made work fun together. I will miss that.
I went for a walk for an hour after work.

About ten minutes from home, my sister rang to say she’d drop in for a cup of tea before she went to the footy. She was home before I got home.

My brother in-law is considering buying a BMW 1 series. Apparently, it is one of the few cars left that you can get a manual gear box/diesel engine combination.



Sam made gorgeous soup for dinner. Tomato and vegetable with pork balls. Yum, yum.

No comments: