Wednesday, August 05, 2015

It is fair to say that Sam has enjoyed his time off

Sam starts his new job today, at 10.30am, he is sad. "Why are you making me do this," he moaned. "I just want to stay home with Buddy and Milo and have dinner ready for you when you get home." (Oh yes, very Donna Reed.) {Notice, how I'm still going to work, I don't get to retire}

He hasn't worked since April, well, he has, he has done some contract work, but he hasn't had a full time job since April. He loved his last job and is still a little disillusioned that he got made redundant. Everybody is when that happens, to a certain extent, I guess.

I tell him he should start his own business, he counters that by saying he wants to retire, stay home with Buddy, take him for walks.

"You're a little young to retire," I say.

It is fair to say that Sam has enjoyed his time off. You have time off, you work. The two are different and mutually exclusive, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy both. You do one, you do the other, one doesn't prohibit enjoying the other, one can be enjoyed, followed by the other. 

He doesn't have to start until 10.30 and here I am up at 7am getting ready for the office. [as it turned out, 10.30 is pretty much his new offices starting time, it makes it a late day]

Buddy comes and sits in my lap this morning, as I sit crossed legged on the floor at my coffee table at my laptop, all 25 kilos of him and I whisper to him that he is going to be home on his own again from today onwards. He snuffles and grunts.

I push him sideways to sit next to me. I have a really sore calf muscle, I've had it for weeks now, maybe months and it is beginning to shit me. Why won't this get better? For the life of me I couldn't work out why. I thought it might have been because I was doing a lot of walking, even if that really didn't make much sense. Then, last weekend, when my calf was feeling sore, Buddy came and sat in my lap and put his head on my shoulder, as he does, and I realised he was sitting right on my calf right where it is sore. 

Oh, I thought.

Now I am getting him to sit next to me. He snuggles up just the same. Hopefully now my leg ache will get better.

No comments: