Friday, January 29, 2016

I Might Be On Holidays From Monday

So, my contract runs out at the end of January. I'd kind of thought about it, but not really. I was aware of it, but hadn't given it much thought, to be honest.

So Fatty and I were suddenly in discussions about it. They weren't going to make me permanent, as they had suggested/promissed at the beginning of my contract, they were only offering me another 6 month contract. Apparently, all of our positions are up in the air, which was news to me.

I asked for a payrise, as I accepted a lower salary at the start of my current contract than I'd really wanted to accept. At the time, I thought to myself, what the hell I'll ask for more money when my contract is renewed.

The answer came back that they wouldn't agree to my full pay rise, but they would give me half of it. The only problem with that was that I should have started on the salary I was now asking for, and now my salary should be being increased more than that again. I already felt that I was compromising with the new salary I was asking for.

I told Fatty that I wanted the weekend to think about the offer. I was meant to have thought about it over night. (name of company) said they can’t go any higher with my pay due to the fact that they have to pay (my old company) the second instalment of the placement fee. There was a rather complicated 2 stage placement fee from my old company, which my new company was never that thrilled about. Half at the beginning of my current 6 month contract and the second half if they made me permanent at the end of that contract.


You know, I might have just accepted the lower offer and been done with it, if I didn’t know that the useless Rita the previous, to the previous, to the previous to me (Remember, I came in as the 3 person in 12 months to do my role, which was in crisis at the time) was getting more 3 years ago than I am asking for now. Fatty said that my contract ran out on Sunday and that she would try and extend it for a week with (my old company) so I could think about it. (my old company) came back with the answer that they wouldn’t extend, the decision had to be made if I was going permanent, or not? They want their placement fee. So, apparently, if my answer is no to the lesser salary, then I can’t, actually, come into work on Monday with (name of company).

“I’m not putting pressure on you, or anything,” said Fatty. “But no, legally we can’t allow you to work.”

Put pressure on, I laughed to myself. You mean that is it, the job is over, no long drawn out good byes. I laughed to myself, that it is how most of my jobs seem to finish anyway, maybe it was a sign. Put pressure on to make a decision, suddenly it all made sense. Done, out of here, I’m on holidays on Monday. Buddy and I can go to the dog park. Lovely. Put pressure on, giggle no, it is an incentive to say no.

Am I being stupid? Throwing away a good job over what amounts to be a few thousand dollars? A job that I regularly do 12 hour days to complete... hmmm.

Actually, since my mum died last year, the pressure to work is somewhat alleviated. I’ll inherit some money in the next few months, which is what is taking the pressure off, so I should hold out for what I want work wise.

I should hold out for what I want? Of course, historically, it has never worked in my favour, I'm not really good at that waiting game. I have never won those games of chicken. I don't know why? A friend told me that it is because I am too laid back. "You've got to go in hard and negotiate, if you want more."

I’m not sure how they would cope without me, especially with my knowledge walking out the door with no notice? Fatty is still asking me how things work. But, of course, nobody is indispensible and I am sure they would get through it.

Fatty hasn’t had a good start to the year. She is splitting up with her boyfriend and having to move house and all, and it is somewhat acrimonious and now this at work, all in the first month. It is not her, however, I really like her and I like working with her, she is one of the good ones.

Ironically, (laugh) now, I have thought about it all, I am going to be more disappointed if they agree to my salary, let’s face it, it is going to cost them more in the long run if they don’t. The idea of having nothing to worry about come Monday is very appealing.

In the afternoon, I packed up my desk. I cleaned out all the rubbish. I filed away all of the stuff I hadn’t filed as yet. I put all of my personal belongings into my bag. I wondered if Fatty noticed.

Right on 4.30pm, as I wanted to leave, I was wondering how I was going to avoid the deep and meaningful conversation on exit? Just as I was thinking about it, Fatty's phone rang and I heard that it was chatty Gary. Lovely I thought. I switched off my computer, picked up my bag, waved my fingers in the air and said, “Have a lovely weekend.”

Fatty asked Gary for a moment and said, “We’ll chat Monday?”

I said, “Yes.”

No comments: