Sunday, January 31, 2016

So, I Am Now Unemployed

Okay, so that didn't go so well. They didn't accept my counter offer, they didn't crumble under my bluff and I am now unemployed, it would seem. Hmmmm.

I held out for them to accept my larger salary, but no. Fatty gave me a long run down, by text, (Oh it is a modern world) why I was not being hardly done by, as I picked out Granny Smith Apples and Sam picked fish at the fish counter at Box Hill Central. 

Yes, I know, perhaps that was just a little too relaxed. Maybe, I should have held off until I put all of my focus into it, but no, I didn't do that. Oh well.

I thought I had it in the bag, but no. Funny, Kirin text me the other day to ask if I'd had my contract renewed. She said she'd heard that Fatty isn't coping well. I thought, maybe Fatty isn't, so, you know, she doesn't have time to train up somebody else. I thought "they'd" give in and give me the extra money. But, no.

Oh well.

I cleaned out my desk on Friday before I left work, in front of Fatty, I didn't try to hide anything. I had the weekend to think about my position, and I just knew it wasn't guaranteed to go my way. Somewhere around 3pm, I just started cleaning all the shit off my desk, putting stuff away, removing stuff to the security bin, or putting personal stuff in my bag.

This morning, lying in bed at 5am, I realised I'd left my procedure manual on my desk, the one I'd put together for my own use. The one with passwords and key websites and log ins to all sorts of things and exceptions and things that needed special treatment etc. My manual. I'd thought on Friday that I couldn't take that, but this morning I thought fuck it, I'm not going to make it easy for the next guy. So just before 7am - early enough so that I wouldn't run into anybody who was in working on the week end - I went into the office and got it. 

I can't be certain about this next fact, and I don't really care if I am not, but as I started off as a contractor, I was sent over to reception to get a security pass. The receptionist was new, and she pulled a pass out of a pile of passes and said, "You can use one of the spare passes," and she handed it to me. She didn't look at its serial number and she certainly didn't write it down. I just can't remember if it was ever replaced at any stage? We've had so many people working in our department and there has been so many security passes delivered to us, I just can't be certain if mine was ever replaced by a permanent one, but I don't think it ever was.

I pulled on my black hoodie and headed off, just because that is what I'd wear if I was heading out anywhere in my track pants, however, as I got closer to the office, I felt a chill in the air and I pulled the hood over my head, simply due to the morning breeze. As I got closer to the building, I felt a chill up my spine, what about the cameras? As it turned out, just because I am a black wearing kind of guy, I was dressed head to toe in black. I giggled to myself and pulled the front of the hood down further over my eyes, as I swiped my security pass over the reader. The doors slid open. So my pass was still working. Nyr! I guess that'd have to get IT to stop it, or, building security? I waved my pass over the reader in the lift and the floor button lit up. The doors closed and the lift started its ascent. I felt a certain chill of excitement.

The office was in darkness. I didn't put on any lights. I headed straight to my desk. I got the manual. The work I had on my desk ready to do Monday, I also slipped into my procedure manual to take with me. I picked up my folders of work to be done, work in progress and work completed and took them to the security bin and slid them all in. (So much for a paperless office) The huge wad of paperwork I was in the process of completing for that huge project, also found its way into the security bin. My hands were shaking, as I removed bulldog clips so as to fit the wads of paperwork through the security bin slot. I thought to myself, you'd need to get these ridiculous nerves under control if you were ever to be a corporate spy, or wanted to go into espionage. The superannuation project for the company staff, I took with me. 

I wasn't in the office more than 5 minutes and my work was done. I think I was out before 7am.

I contemplated heading down the stairs on my way out, but thought better of it and pressed the lift button. I strode through the foyer like I owned the place. I crossed over the deserted street out front. I pulled my hood off my head as I got to the other side of the street, as I did, I looked at the buildings facing me and thought, they are bound to have cameras, so I pulled my hood back on and down over my eyes. Maybe, that was a mistake, slipping my hood off too early. I kept the hood on then until I got home and in the front door.

Oh, that was fun. I might go and do it again next weekend. Ha ha.

I'm not, exactly, sure how legal it was and I don't really care. (I am not really sure why I say that, as I am still a current employee of the company who is in contract negotiations) Remember, that any files I removed, or put in the security bin are all still stored on the system electronically. Well, some of them are. (smile) I just removed my hard copy working files, for the most part. (smile) Yeah, okay, I removed passwords and references to all the things we use, sure, but only my hard copy records of them. All of that should be backed up somewhere, anyway. I just took, or removed, the stuff that I used personally. I didn't access the computer system, I didn't do anything like that. I'm not stupid.

No comments: