Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Abortion

The truth about abortion, it that it is not a bad thing. In fact, in this day and age when over population is threatening the existence of our planet, it should be encouraged. I don't mean that pregnant woman should be encouraged to have abortions, of course, but those who do want to terminate a pregnancy should be treated well and should be natured in their decision, not dissuaded.

Apparently, having an abortion is supposed to cause a life time of grief to all those who have one, according those against abortion. A lot of studies on this subject, especially done by those with religion, have been skewed with only data from unhappy woman being used.  It is a deceptive trick. However, it is widely accepted that there are one hundred thousand abortions in Australia every year, so if it is all about trauma and unhappiness, that is a lot of traumatised women.

I've never seen that amongst my girlfriends who have had abortions. I've had a number of girlfriends who have had abortions, in fact, I think the majority, now that I think about it. It seems to be a right of passage in becoming a woman, now a days, in the sense of making adult decisions when adult decisions need to be made. Thankfully, we live in 2016, and not 1916, when operations, of all kinds, are so much safer, and easier.

So, I asked them how they felt about it now. Unanimously they all said that it was the unplanned pregnancy that was always the problem and not the unplanned abortion.

Jemma said, "Oh could you imagine if I'd been tied to Jay (the father of the child) for the rest of my life because we'd had a baby together?" She shook her head. "That would have been the true nightmare." She shook her head again. "And now I have Phil and my boys and life couldn't be better."

Jane said, "I wasn't ready at the time, it made so much sense. It would have been such a trial to do all of that and have a child as well. I so wasn't ready. And now I have a beautiful son and I don't ever think about that first time."

Kate said, "No, I never think about it. I never wanted children. It was easier than having my appendix removed."

Jenny, "A problem? No. Why do you ask? It's not exactly like human beings are in short supply on this planet, now are they."

Me, "I've been reading about the pain an abortion creates."

Jenny, "No, it was the smartest thing for me to do, at that time. I never think about it now. It wasn't a problem. In and out in no time." She laughed. "I think I was out dancing the next night."

Rachel, "Maybe if I'd already had children? Maybe? It may have played on my mind, picturing if they'd turn out like the others. But, I had my kids quite a few years after that and I never really connect the two. It was just something I didn't want at the time."

"We're all lucky we live in modern times," said Jemma, "When such problems can be fixed relatively easily, without pain of discomfort."

"I've never heard an acceptable answer, from those against abortion," said Kate, "of what we would do with one hundred thousand unwanted children?"
"Per year," I said.
"Per year," said Kate.

"As population growth is set to become the key environmental issue," said Jen. "There will be more abortions performed in the future, not less."

No comments: