Friday, July 29, 2022

Friday

The sun is shining.

The promised smoked salmon and eggs on toast for breakfast never materialise and then was cancelled abruptly mid morning. Sam’s not really a breakfast guy, and I am, so it is less important for him than it is for me.

“What?” I say sounding alarmed, even I could hear it. Well, Sam stopped me from making toast at 8.30am with the promise of a cooked breakfast and now he was reneging just as I am getting really hungry.

“Yeah, sorry.” Not sorry, I could tell. “We’ll have it tomorrow.” I’m pretty sure it is because Charlie had already made himself breakfast. “When I can cook for everyone.”

Grrrr! Charlie, Charlie, Charlie. You must understand, Sam wants to make a good impression for his family. I understand that.

“Good thing you are easy going,” Sam says pointedly.

Oh yes, very funny, I think.

I make vegemite toast for both Sam and I and a second coffee for both of us.

I have been sitting on the couch for 2 days doing sweet FA, so I can hardly complain. Well, they are my days off. The sun is shining and the day looks glorious outside. I should get out in it. I should.

I think I have finally completed my “That’s Life” poem, it has taken a while. Just recollections of my life strung together in a loose way. I am pleased. Well, it can’t just be YouTube all the time? (Well, it can be, ask Charlie) I still have some hopes and dreams.

Sam wants to go and buy a new game in Richmond, so he has been spruiking the idea of heading down there to get pork rolls for lunch.

“Really? Lunch.”

“Yes.”

“That’s the reason for going to Richmond?”

He laughs his cute laugh. He’s not hiding the real reason, even if he is making a joke about it. Sam doesn’t drive, of course.

“If you got your licence…” He has already stopped listening.

We should have showers and get ready, but Charlie is in the middle of his hour in the bathroom routine.

“What does he do in there?” I ask.

Sam makes a motion with his hand. “He is 19.”


No comments: