Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Duh!

So, I get to the surgeon's office at 8.35am. (when I edit and add bits, the system seems to change the font to a bigger size. I don't mind it) I say to the nice girl behind the computer screen that I was Christian and I was there for an 8.30am appointment. She starts surveying her screen, looking and looking and looking again, and I think, Oh, Houston, (I, of course, don’t mean the NASA Mission Control Centre, I mean Whitney) it looks like we have a problem.

She looks at her screen and then relooks at her screen. She snatches a glimpse of me and then her eyes return to her screen.

Other patients are starting to gather behind me.

“What would your last name be,” she asks?

I tell her, and she continues with the investigation of her screen.

“Then she looks up again. “We have you down for next Tuesday @ 8.30am.”

“Oh,” I say. I was sure I'd put it in my phone. I look down at the calendar on my phone which says it is next Tuesday at 8.30am. Duh!

“[name of doctor] has some free time around 9.15am, if you’d like to wait I am sure we can fit you in.”

“Does it matter if I am a week early?”

“Well, we do usually go for 5 week reviews.”

“Oh,” I say again.

“Would you like the appointment at 9.15am?”

“Um, oh, no, stupid me.” I smile. “I’ll come back next week.”

I wander back up the street, the quiet, earlyish morning street, there is something really nice about deserted morning streets. There is a gentleness to it, especially when you are wandering back aimlessly kind of wondering how you just did what you did?

There is a group of oldies excitedly taking their seats at a table out on the footpath.

I buy a raspberry muffin and hop back on the tram, trying not to say "idiot" to myself, even under my breath.


No comments: