Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Up Early Enjoying The Ambience

I am lying in bed, early, enjoying the warmth of the morning bed, because of this stupid weather we have been having. It has been unseasonably cold here for weeks. I have had the central heating on, and I don't think i have ever had the central heating on in November.

Our house guest is leaving today, he is heading off up north. He said his goodbyes last night, as he was leaving early.

I could hear him getting his stuff ready to leave, as I lay in bed. I heard the front door open and close.

Then Bruno jumped up on the side of the bed, as Bruno has a habit of doing if he wants to head outside for a wee, but often he just wants to go downstairs.

So, I got up and Bruno and I head downstairs early, 6.15am.

As I come down the stairs, I see Tim's suite case and backpack sitting by the front door, so he hadn't left yet.

Tim is really lovely, don't get me wrong, but he is a talker. Loves a chat, which I am pretty sure is a better way to be than being a non-talker, but at 6am I am very much in the latter camp. Okay, I'm not much of a talker at the best of times, it is true. Oh, that's not exactly true, but I am very much able to appreciate the silences, without the need to fill them with the sound of my own voice.

And one of the joys of getting up early is those few hours I have to myself.

I switched off all the lights Tim had left on as I head through to the kitchen. I make a coffee and Bruno and I sit on the couch and I write my journal, while Bruno cuddles up to my thigh and gets back to his 20 hours sleep a day.

Fifteen minutes later, I hear the front door open and close again. I hear the toilet flush and, if I said I braced myself for the impending chat, I would be overstating how I felt, but you get some sense of how I was feeling. Then, you may say as luck would have it, I heard the front door open and close again.

Oh, I know, that feeling like I dodged a bullet makes me sound like a terrible person, and in some sense, I guess, I felt like a terrible person, you know, at the very extremities, but the silence wasn't broken, so lovely.

Anyway, I'm off to see my surgeon early this morning, with an 8.30am appointment, so I must get this sorry arse of mine into some sort of order.


No comments: