Thursday, July 14, 2005

Chemo Mouth Ulcers





SMS. 8.31. Great! – Tom


We got the payments through at 17.30, half an hour late, pretty fucking good, even if I do say so myself, just a half an hour too short on time, effectively. Not bloody bad!

Thank the lordy do dah day that that is over!

We had to pitch in and help the finance girls, they fucked up and there were million dollar payments that had to be paid, and the system shit itself, and they couldn’t get it back up and working, and there is a 5.30pm cutoff, apparently, so we had to help for the sake of the firm. You know, get the really smart people onto it, even if I am saying that myself. Oh, you know, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes and we got it done. Nyr! 

Now, I must remind Beck about my holidays. I need time off, it’s doing my head in. I’m turning into a nasty pastie. All those archetypal finance people, which I swore I’d never become, have all come home to roost, in me. It’s not good. I need a break.


Mark, Sebastian, Josh and I all went to mums for dinner. Mark rang to suggest dinner, but I’d already swapped mum’s night because I had to work back late at the beginning of the week. 

Lottie was very pleased to see us all. She was really pleased, living on her own now and pretty much being lonely. She says the days are okay, she is busy with lots to do, but it is the evenings that she finds the loneliest rattling around in our big family home on her own. Of course, she could have sold the stupid big house and moved somewhere else. There was that small terrace house that came up for sale in my street just down from mine just after dad died, but she said she couldn’t live in Fitzroy, it just isn’t her ‘zone’ as she put it. You know, I should have insisted.

I don’t know that sort of loneliness, and I don’t want to think too much about it.

But, I could see her face light up at the prospect of us four lads keeping her company for dinner. I could see it in her face, the veil of loneliness lifted, I could see it. It made me happy and sad all at the same time.


SMS. 21.59. How r u feeling tonight, me luv? – Christian

SMS. 23.04. Feeling ok in a bit of pain from chemo mouth ulcers, but about to get some morphine IV. Otherwise a good day xxxx – Tom



No comments: