Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm Sorry Mate, But I Think The Planet is Doomed

I walked out of the Sunny Bakery with my 2 pork rolls and my apple cake. There was the cute boy who I saw on the way in, talking to another guy. I smiled. He smiled. I smiled again. He had on a Greenpeace windcheater and held a clip board in his hand.

He smiled again. "Have you heard of Greenpeace?" he asked.

"I'm sorry mate, but I think the planet is doomed."

"It's never too late to do something," he said.

I turned as I passed him and spoke as I walked backwards.

"I think it is."

"Nooooo," he said.

I turned away from his (fading) smiling, questioning face and headed to my car.


He actually sounded devastated by my answer. Oh, good on him for being passionate. Applause. I guess, I should have stopped and had the discussion with him.

What exactly are we saving?

At any given moment, half the world doesn't have fresh water or food while the other half are eating themselves to death. Half the world hates the other half. A very small number of the world’s population controls a large portion of the world's assets and they will do anything to keep it that way, include watch the starving die. Even the "haves" lie and cheat each other for gain.

A group of bankers made money at the expense of everyone else on this planet in the subprime mortgage debacle and they felt so terrible about what they'd done, they did it again with the Greek financing disaster.

We have polluted our air, our soil and our earth. We've well and truly crapped in our own nests, even those "less enlightened beings" have enough sense not to do that. And in the shit fight that ensues in the demise of the human race, we'll be lying and cheating even harder to get more of what little is left ahead of the next person. The solve the world's imminent environmental problems we have to come between man and money, which has never been successful in any previous age.

You know, we haven't done such a great job.

Maybe it's time to give the cock roaches a go.


The sun was finally shining. We should enjoy it while it lasts, I thought.


I pointed my keys at my car and the door locks went clunk. I flipped the door handle and climbed inside. The engine gurgled with a throaty exhaust note. I clicked on the blinker and flicked the steering wheel and the car shot out into the traffic and I accelerated up Smith Street towards home.

 

No comments: