Thursday, December 01, 2011

All Over Now

I woke up at 9am. Mark was outside finishing the packing. Luke got up not much later.

Stu, the new owner, arrived at 9.30, as scheduled, in his 200K convertible.

We learned that Kristy, the wife, loves drugs any kind of drugs, she is an enthusiast, so as soon as this baby is out of her, the drugs will start again. Oh yes, she has just discovered she is pregnant. Some people are blessed.

LouLou arrived not long after that, Mark and Luke’s right hand woman.

Stu seemed to stay forever, but in all reality, it was probably two hours.

We finished packing by 1pm.

We all stood around, looking.

The cars were packed, time to go. We had one last cup of tea, smoked a couple of joints and then it was time.

LouLou cried as she hugged Luke. Mark and I cried as we hugged each other. Then I was hugging Luke, trying not to cry as I said I was going to miss him.

Mark washed the car windscreens.

Luke put his sunglasses on as he stepped outside.

We all hugged again. They got in their cars. Luke said he was going touring with Gerry. When were both bamboozled and asked who Gerry was, Luke said Gerry Geranium. He closed the car door.

OMG!

Mark drove off saying, “Off to a new life,” with tear filled eyes.

Luke smiled through the car window and then he was gone too.

Next stop Marshall. For good. Not coming back. Their cars were sure packed up like the Beverley Hillbillies.

LouLou and I were left standing there. LouLou asked me out for lunch and I should have gone – is that breaking my new rule, don’t say no to things? – but truthfully, I was exhausted, we were all exhausted. I worried about Mark and Luke being not too exhausted to drive.

Mark and Luke changed Leah’s life.

LouLou asked me if I wanted a cup of tea before I left, but I was spent, done, I just needed to get home.

I drove up the driveway and stopped at the gate. I smoked a joint and took some photos. I turned onto the Road and headed towards Woodend, sometime after 2pm.

Iota’s song, “Come back for me” played on the cd player.

I looked in the rear vision mirror to see purple eyelids and pools of water. I was hungry and Luke had given me a bag of food and in it were Blueberries. So then when I looked in the rear vision mirror, a bit later, I had purple eyelids and a purple mouth.

It suddenly, for the first time, felt real.

I changed cd’s and Randy Crawford started singing, Everything must change.

I just downloaded the last photos I took at Bolago today, there were 111 of them.

So, how do I feel now? On my own.


No comments: