Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday Mum Day

I sitting back at 8am, drinking coffee, thinking about the day to come. The rain, yesterday, has washed the world clean and new and a fresh breeze blows in through the open back doors. Buddy lays against my right leg. I quite like not sleeping in now a days, it is nice to get up early and see the day.

I was off to visit mum at 10.30am with my sister. Our visits have become fewer and fewer. My mum lives away somewhere else, in a twilight world, if you like, if I am allowed to use that tired old cliche. I wouldn't say it is a drag going to see her, as my sister and I go together and we chat to each other.


Mum reacted positively to us being there, she had a rare moment of engagement. She leant forward and motioned for me to come closer and she kissed me hello. The nurse was watching, she said it was beautiful. Mum paid some attention, but then she faded away into isolation. Roz and I talked away, as mum gazed off into the distance. She seems happy in herself, in an odd, detached sort of way. She seems calm, relaxed. I guess that is the one thing about her dementia, nothing seems to bother her.

Roz and I sit by mum's chair and we catch up on everything we are doing and once we run out of things to say to each other, if you like, we leave. I was home by midday. That's how it goes, mum gets an hour. My sister and I, of course, chat away in the car going there and in the car heading home again. Mum doesn't really say anything. She tries to, but it was her vocabulary that disappeared first, so what she says now is kind of like a grunt, or a moan, with no distinguishable words.

No comments: