Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sam's Groovy Back

Sam had a cupping last Friday. Now his back looks like a 1960s geometrical curtain. He has big, red circles down his back on either side of his spine.

I walked into town after work and had a haircut, while Sam was having his back therapy, with the shit hairdresser who messed up my hair last time. Sam told me to go with the salon owner, who always dresses like a hooker, and not an expensive one. The owner wasn't there when I walked in and, I think, I got the Scandinavian backpacker. I wasn't sure if she could speak English, fluent English, at the beginning, during, or even after the haircut, but she did a good job. Of course, she knew a few key hair phrases, but beyond that I wasn't really sure. She was cute and blond and she had on a tiny, short blue dress, which I am sure all the straight boys wanted to... well, we all know what straight boys want to do to pretty young girls.

Afterwards, I bought shoes. A massage session lasts longer than a cheap haircut and I was finished first, so I had time to fill. I tried to buy a pair of blue work pants, but they didn't have them in my size. They had them in every size but mine and I tried on bigger and smaller and tried to make them fit, but I couldn't. Disappointed, my eyes strayed towards the shoes and before I knew what I was doing I was sitting in the shoe department with boxes of shoes surrounding me.

Then we ate Indian in Melbourne Central at the two restaurants that look alike and certainly look as thought they are owned by the same owners. However that isn't true. One was very popular and one wasn't. The popular restaurant staff spent most of their time explaining to the customers of the popular restaurant why they couldn't sit on the empty tables of the unpopular restaurant even though there seemed to be no discernible difference between the tables. It was like ground hog day meets Bollywood, well, more mall than music, less colour, more beige.

I was exhausted just watching it. I nearly told a couple, "Nah, they are the poor cousins tables," as the wandered up, looked confused, looked around and proceeded to take a seat, before the popular wait staff sprang into action. Several times. It just seemed polite.

Of course, it was the perfect metaphor for what ails the world today. If only we could share, help each other out, give each other a hand, the world would be a happier place.

No comments: