Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Anzac Day Carnival

How long has Anzac Day been going this year? It seems like it has been going for a month already. The carnival of remembrance. They really have made it the number one event on everyone's calendar now a days, haven't they. It is the "must do" thing, now isn't it? Personally, I think it is people filling in their boring lives with big ticket events. You know, The Grand Final, Melbourne Cup, Anzac Day. Even better if you could lay claim to some long dead digger (who you never had a hope of knowing in person). 


When is it going to finish? (Oh please don't let us have a week of postmortems after the weekend)

But, I guess, with a war on just about everything these days, we are all being programmed to think it is really hip to glorify war. (I'm sure just to give politicians a bump in the polls) War is "in," it is the latest political tool, it is now how we all live our lives.

Am I "unAustralia" when I say, if you haven't already gathered, I don't care about Anzac Day? Really don't care!

And why do I care enough to write this? Well, first of all because it has been a barrage over the last few weeks. OMG, make it stop. If I cared little about Anzac Day before, I care less about it after being bombarded with it over the last few weeks.

And it is that mentality that "all Australians" think a certain way and if the people who don't feel that way never say anything that misconception will stand. 

Coming together to celebrate something that united a nation? Really? It destroyed a generation of men, it destroyed a generation of lives.

No comments: