Friday, September 30, 2016

I Sliced my Finger Open

I wanted to stew some apples. I couldn't find the peeler. I searched and searched and searched the kitchen again, again, and again. Ridiculous, it should be here, I though as I looked around the kitchen yet again. I started getting that constant search blindness. So, I decided to go to Coles and buy another one, how much do they cost, I ask you? It isn't worth the stress.

So I got home with my new peeler, and I am ripping off the packaging, which just doesn't seem to want to come off. So, I run my pointer finger into the cardboard to break the back of it, managing to run my finger right along the blade, and suddenly the blade was imbedded into the end of my finger. The blade had completely disappeared into the flesh of the end of my finger. I looked at it in disbelief. Who'd have thought, a vegetable peeler blade? I, actually, had to pull the blade out of my finer, with a kind of tug/plop feeling.

It bled like a bitch. Is that a term we are even allowed to use now a days?

It was rich and red and it flowed like raspberry sauce, or liquid rubies. Brick red blood dripped onto the kitchen bench, drip, drip, drip. It was scarlet against the white tissues, like something from a crime scene, as I attempted to stem the flow. If only I'd thought a peeler blade was sharp, I'm not sure what I was thinking, but it wasn't that, not sharp like a knife, not sharp like it would cut me, like a recalcitrant gang member being bought back under control. "Vegetable peelers at 20 paces," I hear them call. If only somebody had stopped me, if only, it would have been much appreciated.
Many tissues and much pressure applied before the bleeding stopped. I have to keep a bandaid over it, otherwise it feels as though it is splitting a part again.

Do you know how hard it is to operate in this touch screen world we live in with a bandaged finger? Very hard. Simple procedures I do ever day of the week no longer work. I can hardly operate my laptop, nor my mobile phone. My middle finger is aching from all the work it is having to do, work it is very much unaccustomed to doing.

No comments: