Tuesday, September 06, 2016

The in Bed Project

I was reading The in Bed Project and thought I'd write my own.

I have never seriously thought about getting married. I have never quite seen the point to it. Get married, get divorced. (You'd think from that statement, my parents were divorced, but no, 50 years together before my father succumbed to cancer) I have never seen marriage in my future. That day, so perfect compared to every other day? The guests, the cake, the afternoon, the cliche. Every day I am married to my partner, anyway.

But to say that I have never seriously thought about getting married, implies that there is some choice that I have made, which, in reality, I have not. So, if ever I did decide to get married, if my partner really wanted to get hitched, then maybe I'd consider it. Maybe I'd consider it? Simply, the same rights should be afforded to all citizens in a society, and if they are not, then that society is not fair and equitable. Australia does not treat all of its citizens fairly and equally at present. It is time that it did.

And isn't that Australia's biggest claim to the world, a fair go for all of its citizens?

No comments: