Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Sad Face

Boris called, she wants me to go to the office on Monday. Boo hoo. Apparently, (Our department boss) Tony Rivers is asking for us to come back, at least one day a week. Boris said she would talk to me. She knows I don’t want to go back to the office, and I feebly restated to her. I love working from home and I have been contemplating this moment for some time. If I say I am not coming back to work in the office, that I want to continue working from home, I guess, I have to be prepared to resign if they make me go back.

Tony Rivers’ attitude has suddenly changed regarding all of us being back in the office. Where before, he said he didn’t really care, now he is suddenly very keen for us to return.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the government? We do work for the Victorian state government. And I am sure Dan Andrew’s is under pressure to get the CBD back up and running. We’re a multinational law firm, Maggie, June, Market, Gareth & Sophie, the govt speaks to our CEO, our CEO talks to his heads of departments, of which Tony Rivers is the CFO. We all get told to come back to the office. Our firm gets those govt contracts for which it was tendering. The govt gets kudos for getting the CBD back up and running.

Oh, it is so ridiculous. I don’t have any face to face staff contact, other than socially in my own department, all of my work is done by email. Because I don’t trust anyone not to deal with me in writing, nearly, not really, it’s an insurance policy, of sorts, but when you deal in figures everything is written down, that’s just the way my job is. I only really report to Boris, and, pretty much, I do that all by email too, just so everybody gets to process work in their own time.

I wonder if it has something to do with the planned department Xmas party? Grrr.

So, Monday…

It’s ridiculous. I get up at 5.30am, 6am, just because I do. (Okay, Sam is one for going to bed at 10.30pm, I never went to bed until midnight, 1am before I met Sam. I have fallen into the habit of going to bed early with Sam, so I get up early now) And, usually, I just start work, so come 9am, I have done 3 hours work. Then I go for a walk in the park. I’m back by 10am, when, usually, the rest of the office has got going and are starting to email me. Now, going to the office, (oh fuck it, I have to iron a shirt and have a shower and eat breakfast and take half an hour to walk there) I’ll get there at 7.30am, 8am and by 9am I have done 1 hour’s work, and I am stuck in the office.

Now, I finish when I like, usually around 4pm, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. In the office, I have to stay later than that. (Then I have to commute home for half an hour. Yes, I walk, it is still a waste of time, when I could be walking in the local park with headphones and not a bloody care in the world)

I quite like my immediate work colleagues, they often say they miss the funny things I say. Funny, I think in response, I haven’t thought about you guys all that much.

As for the rest of the Maggie, June, Market, Gareth & Sophie workforce, nyr, I can take them or leave them.


No comments: