Monday, November 01, 2021

Rob Died

A Friend of mine who has been battling cancer going on a couple of years died this morning. It just seemed like the universe got this one wrong, as Rob was a lovely guy, happy, friendly, nice, everyone loved him. He had a positive attitude to life, he was always up beat. He just didn’t seem like the guy who should’ve died of cancer, he should’ve been allowed to keep on giving. We need more people like him, not less.

The universe should’ve taken me, I’m a miserable old curmudgeon. Funny, when I told that to Mark, he quietly said, no I don’t agree. You gotta love ex-boyfriends.

Not that I’m offering to take his place, or anything, you understand, I just think the universe could’ve picked better.

Rob and his boyfriend, Matt, just got married a week ago. I assumed there was gonna be some family trouble with Rob’s will upon his death, but that might just be cynical old me. Why else would you get married? A week before you die. What’s the point? I ask you? But then I don’t really get the whole marriage thing as we all know.

You know, a year, or so ago, Rob could have passed for 35, with his blonde hair and good looks, recently he’s looked 75. So quickly. He has a great life, a job he loves, plenty of money, and a boyfriend he loves, and who loves him. He lived a healthy life, he exercised, he didn’t drink, or smoke. He did everything right. It just seems so unfair.

You know, to all those space cadets out there who say everything happens for a reason, okay, what is it? It doesn’t. Life is random. And you only get one shot at it. There is nothing after this. When your time is up, it is up. There is no reason for it.


2 comments:

rginoz said...

I am sorry to hear of the death of your friend. It's something that seems to happen with greater frequency as we all get older. Maybe it's a reminder to us of our own mortality. Over the past year, I've had my own experience with cancer; luckily I have beaten it, but there is always the chance that it might come back, in one form or another.

On a happier note, can I tell you how much enjoyment I get from reading your very entertaining and perceptive blog posts. Please keep writing, and posting. I'm sure I'm not your only fan. As for me, I'm retired, gay (surprise!), and living with my long-term partner on the Gold Coast. We live a quiet but active life, and until Covid came along, we travelled a lot, mostly overseas. We will recommence our travels again soon, I hope.

Your writings about work often mirror my own experiences. So many people we work with are ignorant, self-centred, vain, and lazy, or some combination of those things. But sprinkled in there are some who we should treasure. They tend to be in the minority.

Thank you again. Keep up the blog, and best wishes to you, your partner and your dogs.

FletcherBeaver said...

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope that I can keep on entertaining you into the future.

Yes, we lose people as we get older, that is life, I guess. We have to learn to let them go gracefully and look to the future.

Sam is particularly keen to get travelling again. I love it once I am going, but I tend to be the lazy one in this relationship, but, I guess, Sam will give me a shove in the near future and we'll be off again.

Till then...