Saturday, November 13, 2021

Can I Stay?

David rang in the afternoon, he wanted to apologise for the time I put him in the uber and sent him to the airport. According to him, he now sees how he overstayed his welcome.

He was having this week to himself. How is that different to other weeks, I wondered? CharChi is in the dog home. Yes, I know, kind of a strange take on dog ownership. Anyone else wanting a week to themselves would have their dog with them just as a matter of course. A dog usually has privileges others don’t. But not CharChi, the moment David feels stress of any kind, she is booked into the dog hotel.

When I questioned him, he said he just wanted relief from the responsibility of CharChi for this week. How hard is it to scoop a cup of chow from a bag and dump it in a bowl, I wondered? It’s not like he prepares raw meat meals for CharChi like Sam does for Buddy and Bruno. 

What? You take her to belly dancing lessons and soccer practise on a Saturday morning, that I don’t know about, I asked. No, apparently not.

Anyway, this week was going to be his. Except, his friend Smythe decided to come and visit on her way from Mullumbimby where she had been living on her way back to Melbourne. David told her right from the outset about his plans for the week, and that she couldn’t stay.

Then, she couldn’t get a flight until the following day, so she asked if he knew any good hotels in the area and he relented and said she could stay for one night. 

The following day she slept in and hadn’t booked her flight. Too busy with a face mask, cotton wool between her toes as she painted her toe nails and read her tarots, burning incense, listening to Enya. And she couldn’t then get a flight until the next day because of her sleep in.

So, we’re already at 2 nights.

So, the next day came, and David informed her early that he was going to Ballina to run some errands and she had to pack her stuff and get in the car as he’d be dropping her off at the airport, she had to leave.

He dumped her in Ballina close to the shops he wanted to go to (probably a chemist to get a script filled, knowing David. I say to him that replacing illicit drugs with prescription drugs is not really kicking a drug habit, but he doesn’t see it) and came home.

Now, somehow this related to his drug binge at our place last year, whenever that was, when I, allegedly, kicked him out. 

He had a Sunday flight to Brisbane to start some project up there. He came out Sunday morning a wailing mess (usually, the end result for David after a meth binge) “I’ve missed my flight, I’ve missed my flight.”

“Oh,” I said. “What time was it?”

“It’s not for 2 hours, but there is no way I can get myself together and catch it. It is hopeless.”

Now, I don’t know if you have much experience with Virgos, but 2 hours to the airport is completely doable no matter what the circumstances.

“It’s 30 minutes to the airport, I’ll have you on that plane, don’t you worry about that.”

I’m pretty sure he started to cry again.

I took him (by the hand) to his bedroom, stood over him while he packed his bag, taking no nonsense in the process. He blubbered the whole time.

“Where is your phone?”

“Here,” said a wan voice.

“Call an Uber.”

“Oh, I just can’t…”

“Do it!”

“What time will I say…”

“Now! Next available.”

Surprisingly the organised David who has made a great success out of his life flashed momentarily, and he handled the Uber booking with aplomb. “Akmad, is on his way,” he said. (Back to misery)

We made a quick check that he had everything, with David still teary. (good thing I lived with him, however long ago that was, and I was well aware of his come down shenanigans)

“Pick up your suitcase and come with me. And I led him to the footpath.

A black 4WD pulled up 5 minutes later. 

“Give the man your bag.”

“Huh?”

“In your hand”

“Get in.”

“Oh… er.”

“Back door’”

Kiss, kiss.

And he made his flight with time to spare.

Anyway, he apologised for this behaviour.


No comments: